Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With 1909 Barber Dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 442Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  04:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Faeryll to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am trying to value my 1909 Barber dime, but have ran into an impass. I am hoping some could help.

I looked for mint stamps, but was never able to find one. I did, however, notice a raised dot to the right of the date and is directly in line with where the neck tapers. Is that a mint stamp?

I've been scouring the internet for pennies of that year and not a single one of them has the raised dot. I also looked for misprints of that coin, again find nothing.

Can someone help me, please. Thank you.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42754 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Need in focus full coin pic of both sides. Going with that pic,value between $3 and $10.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
787 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely clearer pictures needed. There is also something going on at the top on the head, solder possibly?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1106 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And a pic of the reverse would be helpful so we could determine the mintmark, since that would determine a higher or lower value. From the obverse pic, it looks like a F-15 estimated grade.
I can tell you that a mintmark on the reverse can mean a far more valuable coin. The Philly mintmark is by far the most common; PCGS coinfacts lists an approximate value of 12.00 in F-15. The Denver at 90.00 bucks, the New Orleans at 25.00 bucks, and the San Francisco at 110.00 bucks. So the presence of a mintmark can definitely change the estimated retail value .
Edited by mrwhatisit
10/10/2021 07:40 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16492 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , you need to take clearer photos of obverse and reverse . The Mint mark would be on the reverse at bottom of wreath .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64282 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possible damage or foreign substance? Reverse pic please.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
967 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  11:03 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Possible filled hole above Miss Liberty's head? But we need pictures of both sides of the coin. The mintmark is on the reverse (back side).
Pillar of the Community
United States
2048 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll point out that Philadelphia coins from this era do not have a mint mark. If your has one, it is located here:

If that area is blank, it's Philly.
Learn More...
United States
108260 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1226 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome! Possible foreign material as the result of a jewelry piece. They were, and still are on occasion, used for everything from bracelets and necklaces to cuff links and button snaps.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 442Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: