Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unsightly Toning On My Silver Coins.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 468Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
391 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  12:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tnwalker10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been storing my coins in 2x2 flips. I have the clear plasic type that a label can be put in the back pocket, and the coin will be put in the front pocket. I have a dark blue, plastic, Safe-t box that holds all of my flips. The coins have been stored this way 10-12 years.

I recently took the coins from the safe to look at. The silver coins have severely tarnished on the edges close to the coin label. It's very unsightly. I feel confident the label paper is acidic and causing the problem.

I'm sure I've lost some value of my coins because of this. I have 2-4 silver coins that are in clear capsules and are in perfect condition. I don't like to store them this way because they can't be labeled. Can you guys suggest a proven way to store the coins so they won't get damaged over time? Thanks, guys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5196 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a bummer. Sorry for your discovery. Stuff like that has to be heartbreaking. I don't have much experience in long term storage except for Whitman and Dansco albums. Both of which have served me well. There are others here that will chime in soon with some sage advice.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought these flips called Saflips that are made out of Mylar. I also bought one of those heat-sealing machines. After I put the coin in one pocket, I seal it closed. I use the other pocket for a label. I also put quite a few coins in capsules. In some of my capsules, I've noticed some tarnishing around the edges but most are OK. For my bullion, I just put them in plastic tubes. I don't care as much if that tarnishes. But I don't see alot of tarnishing there either.
Learn More...
Australia
13926 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For silver coins, the thing that causes unsightly black toning - usually called "tarnish" - is not acid or moisture, but sulfur. Something in your storage system is emitting sulfur.

It might be the paper that you're using for backing cards. Is it coloured? Coloured paper tends to have more sulfur than white paper. Taco Bell serviettes are notorious for turning silver coins dark.

It might be the "dark blue, plastic, Safe-t box" itself. If it's a box designed for storing food or general storage, rather than an archive-quality box designed for storing documents or valuables, it might be emitting al kinds of sulfurous gases.

It might be something else placed in the safe. Rubber is high in sulfur and can outgas quite a lot of sulfurous vapours if left alone in a sealed container like a safe.

It could even be the safe itself, if it has plastic or rubber liners or components.

As for alternatives: using a heat-sealer to completely enclose the flip would work. Personally, I only use flips for ancient coins or other coins that are too odd-shaped or thick to fit into a standard cardboard 2x2.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5196 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  07:49 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice educational post there Sap. Thank you.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Valued Member
United States
391 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tnwalker10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys! I really appreciate the help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I encounter a very similar scenario where mine went from bright shiny mint state to dull mint state. Some even began developing green spotting. Acetone helped to some degree, particularly the later, after which they were transferred to adhesive cardboard 2x2's. These I prefer over the staple variety for the full seal guaranteeing an almost air-tight storage.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17243 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
319 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dansco albums are great, as well as individual capsules. For my lower tier coins I use cardboard 2x2.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  10:27 am  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Older clear flips used to be vinyl. Which can cause problems. Like the dreaded green slime. Some of the cheaper ones still are. Only meant for short term storage. If you want to continue to use clear flips, make sure they are "archival" quality.

Could be air getting in through the top of the flip where it folds over. Sealing it like Happy said might solve that problem.

I use the cardboard 2x2 and write the coin info on the cardboard edge. Although with a dollar sized coin, there isn't a lot of room.
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1728 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't like using carboard/mylar 2x2 for storing coins. It looks cheap and ugly.
For low cost coins, raw coins in an album would be OK for me. For higher value coins, I suggest slabs or square coin capsules (e.g. Quadrum from Lighthouse). These will have plenty of space for a small label with information about the coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 468Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: