Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1936 Antietam Commemorative Half Dollar - Could It Go Au?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 242Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1273 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  12:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add The Silver Searcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all,

I've been taking a stab at collecting some circulated classic commemorative half dollars, with the excellent wisdom from Nickelsearcher, Not Mint To Be, Worn Out, and Commems being of great help.

I spotted this Antietam half on Ebay today:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224638664800

The seller is billing it as a "slider," and it does look like it has a touch of wear. The Antietam, as well as being a beautiful coin with great history, is one of those that's difficult to find circulated at all. Now this one is out of my price range (I'd also be hesitant to drop that much $$$ on an uncertified coin), but I'm still curious - could this go AU?

I'm trying to learn as much as I can so if I do spot one I'm really interested in, I can buy with confidence.

Thanks all!

TSS
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11371 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll let the pros weigh in but that is definitely one my all-time favorite designs.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62938 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks choice AU to me but I wouldn't want to pay much more.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/11/2021 1:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7343 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the comments given above, looks like an AU slider that could grade AU55/AU58. I'd be a bit concerned about a cleaning as evidenced by what appear to be hairlines on the reverse.

It's priced at the top end for what I would consider paying.

Another element for you to consider is where do you wish to 'draw the line' on circulated status? If you acquire a high AU coin are you going to be looking for a downgrade and then be holding the prior coin that you need to resell? That can get expensive and time consuming.

Personally, my choice is XF45 or lower for inclusion into my circulated commemorative set. It allows me to avoid the buy/flip/buy scenario I just described.

Granted there are two coins in my set at AU, both of them are 'stoppers' and I may never see another.

Relative to the Antietam half, it's difficult to find a truly circulated example but they do appear on occasion. PCGD has certified 13 of these at XF45 or lower.

Of course, the goals for your set are completely up to you. The eBay coin is a lovely and likely lightly circulated example of a stunning classic silver commemorative issue.

Best of wishes with your continued searching!
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 242Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: