Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Frankie '63 50c D/S Impossible?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 275Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3100 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  7:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does this statement from VarietyPlus corroborate with the attached photo for a '63 Franky 50C? -

Quote:
The mintmark was repunched northeast of its first impression.

VarietyPlus does not show a photo.

What are those white protrusions at 2 and 8 o'clock?

This enhanced photo may not be the best: more coming.

The lighting is compromised by my setup.

Edited by mdpmedia
10/11/2021 8:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3100 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like an S to me for this year.

I thought the position of the second punch was suspect for a D/D...

Nothing's in Cherrypickers or CoinFacts either for a D/S. Is a D/S even possible for this series?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3100 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just found this also. Variety Vista only has D/D variations:

http://www.varietyvista.com/11%20Fr...%201963D.htm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3616 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Considering how the San Francisco Mint didn't strike coins from 1956-1967, it's impossible. Possible for earlier Franklin halves though.

Some believe 1950-D RPM-001 to be a D/S but without conclusive evidence it remains a D/D.

VP-001 is the same as RPM-005 on VarietyVista. Note it says it's repunched northeast of the first impression, so it would appear like a secondary mintmark is southwest of the stronger, final mintmark punch like visible in the photos for RPM-005. Regardless, the doubling on your coin is to the northwest.

Your coin may potentially be MD, looks like there is some MD going in the same direction on the ES in STATES in your second pic.
Edited by Tanman2001
10/11/2021 9:32 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41890 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OMM's stopped in 1955, is what Mike Diamond told me.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54579 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see no images of the devices on the top above the mintmark area? I did a view on examples of PCGS images to see if there was a damaged mintmark punch issue on that series. None. But I did noticed a lot of Machine Doubling on these examples. So if the tops of the devices has MD on them, that maybe the cause?

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 275Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: