Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970 S Jefferson Nickel RPM

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 146Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
64 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  02:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SmackRampage to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys! So I got this 1970 S Jefferson nickel the other day she looking at it something kept catching my eye about the mint mark... So I put it under the microscope and pretty close in on it and it looks too me like there is an S slightly south and turned clockwise...I couldn't find any like it that have been attributed, so I thought I'd check and see what the more knowledgeable think about this... As always I do appreciate your valued input! Thanks...

Bedrock of the Community
United States
41224 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like your white balance is out of adjustment. What attribution sites did you check? I am not seeing a RPM.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  05:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SmackRampage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So here is the same photo but I'm one I drew as best as I could over top of where I'm seeing the other s...

Pillar of the Community
United States
1169 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53928 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note that the die wear and the die scratches worked together make it look like a RPM, but it is not.
http://www.varietyvista.com/05%20JN...%201970S.htm
Note on these images of RPM's the punching is strong. There are some images of flat field doubling on the proof coins. But the RPMs are not part of each listing. The RPMs are stronger, and raised above the fields. On your coin the area in question is more like a wave of raised metal. The earlier die state coins would not show this. It is something that develops as time goes by. So it is not a RPM. RPMs on the pre 1989 must show to distinct punching from the first strike. They will also be enlarged. Some of the RPMs show split serifs on the devices. These are harder to list and some are considered too minor. So the wave on your coin only affects the lower area of the field. There is not upper part of a RPM, because it is not a RPM. Hope this helps. Study the page of the listed ones like a map and you will see what is listed. (Some appear normal, but using the direction listing, will help you to see it)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/13/2021 11:47 am
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SmackRampage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Coop, thank you very much sir! As always you have done an excellent job with explaining what I am seeing... And thank you for the links to further explain this issue, I truly appreciate the time!
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 146Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05