Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Centennial Provincial Flower Medals

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 284Next Topic  

Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CanadaTokenAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all!
I have a question on the varieties that exist for the Floral Emblems set.
Example set can be seen here:
https://www.icollector.com/Rare-186...er_i34046947

I've seen the full Pewter set of 12 in the smaller ~1.25 inch and larger ~2 inch size - these seem to be pretty common.
I've also seen some smaller individual pewter versions that have a loop on top, maybe meant to go on a key fob?
Also, I've seen some individual 1.25" medals plated in a gold toned material.

Wondering if anyone knows how many varieties there are and whether they exist for all 12 medals.

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
991 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems odd that the medallions don't actually show the flowers of each province.
Learn More...
United States
106618 Posts
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaTokenAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcome jbuck!

David Graham - the Provincial Flowers are actually on the other side
(Example: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthope...al-51294213)
Quite stylized, the relief on the floral side especially is very high.
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2021  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These came in 3 different sizes and two compositions:
Silver Plated and gold plated
50mm - 32mm - 28mm

Also as key fobs, 28mm in silver plate and gold plate
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaTokenAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic - that's a great bit of information. Thanks! Is there a catalog with any details of mintages or any more information? I would never have known to look for a 28mm version - I may have seen them and passed them by thinking it was a 32mm.
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reference I have for them comes from Canadian Centennial Medallions and Collectibles, 30th Anniversary Edition, 1967-1997 by Brian Thomson
Pillar of the Community
United States
3073 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2021  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Seems odd that the medallions don't actually show the flowers of each province."

Here is the coat of arms side the The holder was dark blue on this side, faded from the sun

Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2021  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Circus - your Floral / Coat of Arms sets were issued by Shell Canada as a buy gas promotion. They were produced in the early 1970's.

Here is a link that shows both sides of the medals: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2034941775...263433204254
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 284Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: