Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1837 50 Cents Gr-13 Reeded Edge Half EF Details.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 408Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  7:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked this one up today for pretty well full market retail, $260.00 cash on barrel. Its strike then overall appearence I feel are noteworthy.Bust Half gurus can you share any info on this variety? this is not my series.
Its been awhile since a hit a decent cherry pick. I think PCGS got the "cleaned" right but coin looks textbook AU-50 to me?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62876 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough call. Looks pretty natural to me.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3615 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i would guess the initial grade was knocked down because of the cleaning. ?
Learn More...
United States
21402 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@luv, maybe the rim bruise between two and three o'clock on the obv holds it back a bit?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are my thoughts those small ring ticks. Have looked at a few slider AU originals that my impression was they showed hairlines from cleaning but have also noted their are some fine excellent AU and low MS out there and they get pricey at MS60 real fast. The designation of cleaned on this one doesn't give me any buyers remorse whatsoever am glad I bumped into it and had the 260 in my pocket. Seller felt disappointed it came back cleaned and wanted out of it.
From what I gather the Reeded edge is the main attribution? Can't find any laymen term articles explaining the 23 listed varieties.
Learn More...
United States
21402 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
am glad I bumped into it and had the 260 in my pocket

That is the most important thing!

Hopefully someone will be around in the next couple days to help out with assigning a specific variety to this.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
677 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  01:13 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the cleaned designation, but it has decent eye appeal otherwise. It is close between XF and AU, but I will have to go with around AU-50 details. The obverse looks very nice, but the reverse looks a bit more worn. I know the reeded edges don't have much of a rim on the reverse, and they were struck poorly.

I am studying the lettered edge halves, so I can't tell you much on varieties of the reeded edge halves. Even though they are the same series, they are very different types of coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks was digging into the 23 designations for 1837 reeded and found a brief Heritage Auction description of GR-13. Heritage listed an AU GR-13 describing it as "Line through ED variety". I don't see much much except a faint line here and their running about. Nice series I have to start learning.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just an FYI. It's not a cherrypick if it's already attributed. Unless, you are saying you got a higher grade coin than what it is graded.
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find, congrats.
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your inputs all.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 408Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: