Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ermanaric Silver 'Denarius'? King Of The Goths Compared To As Alexander Th Great

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 230Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
235 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  10:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It looks like a Late Roman Period coin, but was struck by Ermanaric (296-374)? The retrograde inscr. reads "M A nR I C", Small at 14mm and a couple of grams-a Germanic Denarius? Ermanaric has been compared to being the Alexander the Great of the Goths... is this coin an Ermanaric issue? Any help is appreciated!

Edited by whatdowehavehere
10/21/2021 10:17 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1311 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought is Nabataea in Arabia. I'm not aware of a Gothic coinage of the type you suggest.
Valued Member
Canada
235 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, but I think that The Nabateans used a different alphabet?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6063 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rabbell II, I believe.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6063 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OP compared to the legends (Nabataean variant of Aramaic, I believe) from two Rabbell II drachms.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=413266
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3336145
Valued Member
Canada
235 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You very much! I stand humbled... still a lot to learn. Thanks again, Kushanshah and Bob L
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 230Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: