Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000-P Sacagawea Dollar MD?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 207Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  6:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
(fixed the date in title, sorry)
Let's see if I'm learning anything...
I'm guessing this coin's issues are caused by Mechanical Doubling, where the doubling decreases the size of the devices, is seen on both sides of the devices, and effects the field. (?)
How'd I do?

Edited by Krisalane
10/22/2021 6:19 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54589 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you are using side by sides to check for differences. Best to crop both images at the same points and then set the width the same for both images, then put them together. Then you can see if the widths of the devices are the same/larger/smaller. But it appears on the top one there is Machine Doubling. Very few DDR's on the series yet.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coop! Will do.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54589 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cut on the outside edges of the devices and make them the same width first:

That helps to show the differences. On short devices of 'WE' I will include extra devices to show the devices better and wider helps to set the rotations the same.

On full images, I make sure that the horizontal devices Like Liberty are straight on both coins, then exactly the same amount to not have to deal with trying to make them the same by trial and error. It speeds up the process. For example:
Cents: IN GOD I rotate 36 degrees Clock Wise.

On Trust I rotate that 30 degrees CCW on both images.

Then size for width and you will have an easier time creating these. But I've probably over 200K images through the years. (Just a guess) But getting an agenda on how to do it, speeds up the process.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/22/2021 7:17 pm
Learn More...
United States
21371 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Let's see if I'm learning anything...

Definitely the goal here!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it is Spence! Lots of learning to do.
It seems a lot of folks pop in for the "did I just win the lottery" questions, but I really want to understand what I'm looking at/for. Hopefully someday, instead of just questions, I'll be able to bring answers. :)
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I cut on the outside edges of the devices and make them the same width first:
thanks Coop, but I think I did something wrong. When I align these images, and add same size dots (moved along the same planes) to see if there are differences, I'm seeing more real estate on the bottom coin's devices. Extras on the letters and feathers. What am I seeing/doing incorrectly? I'm guessing it is md, but it adds to the devices, so I'm confused. Thanks for the help!

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And here are a couple of close-ups...

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 207Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: