Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First "Proof" . I'm So Happy!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 481Next Topic  

United Kingdom
34 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  04:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Merv4468 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all
I have just been looking through so coins that a work co-worker gave to me, He said that his son had visited a few places and the money that he had returned home with was just laying .
A couple of coins from USA, what's this ..... an "S" mint WOW a proof.

A quick check on "NUMISTA" coin website and DOH!!!!

1 cent 1973 "S" only 317,177,295 minted....... not a proof

It's the only "S" mint that I have, at least I have learnt that NOT ALL "S" mint are proofs.
oh well! the hunt continues.

Thanks, Merv
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13187 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Disappointing for sure, but instead of going on the Numista coin site, why not use the "US Coin Facts" Forum
in the left hand column, you would have gotten the same information.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6686 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Experiences like these build numismatic character!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1226 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to see San Francisco resume business struck coinage.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
United Kingdom
34 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Merv4468 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks "JimmyD". I'll try and remember the coin facts bit.
I've only been on this site a few months & still trying to get used to it.
I'm slowly getting through some of the topics, enjoying following the roll hunting to see what people a still finding in circ.
Picking up tips & learning on the way.
Thanks
Merv
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2021  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community. Lots of good information here.
Learn More...
United States
108207 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2021  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Experiences like these build numismatic character!

Quote:
They did strike some cents for a bit, but sans the mint mark, from 1978 to 1983.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17603 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

WITH mintmarks please. Of course for them to actually be successful as circulating coinage they were have to produce at a level on par with Denver and Philadelphia and they may just not have that kind of capacity or space. Their unmintmarked production levels were typically kind of on the low side as compared to the others. Of course if they were to strike some of the larger denominations and not the money losing cents and five cent pieces they could probably turn a very nice seigniorage profit for the government from the more moderate mintage levels that would get all hoarded up by collectors
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
108207 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Of course if they were to strike some of the larger denominations and not the money losing cents and five cent pieces they could probably turn a very nice seigniorage profit for the government from the more moderate mintage levels that would get all hoarded up by collectors
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 481Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: