Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1840 (O) Seated Half Dollar Medium Letters

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 386Next Topic  

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2021  10:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coinfiend to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just acquired this half dollar from my LCS. It was being sold as an 1840 Half Dollar. I did some research and figured out about this crazy cool die pairing! Wanted to share this with yall. If you don't know about this seated half, it is the regular seated half obverse with the reverse of the 1838 capped bust half! Also one of the few New Orleans coins with no O mint mark. Thought this was super cool :)

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17596 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep that's it, 1840-O with no mintmark. Congratulations.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
5414 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super cool!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Varieties and Colonial Coinage
Pillar of the Community
United States
927 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  01:36 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did not know this. Thanks for the info!!
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't know about the no mint mark New Orleans coin. Thanks for sharing.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64087 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An unusual marriage for sure.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool and a great find. What do you plan on doing with this coin? I would be interested if you wanted to sell it.
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinfiend to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad I could share some knowledge! And I'm probably going to sell it, still thinking about it though. Not sure I'll be able to find this coin again. How can I contact you if I decide to sell?
Pillar of the Community
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can PM me here. I tried to send you a PM but you do not accept messages from members, can you click on my user name and then go to message me that should work.
Learn More...
United States
107962 Posts
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinfiend to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@heymikep I tried to send you an email but I am a new member and it does not allow me. I don't see the PM option, sorry I could be overlooking it
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinfiend to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I updated my profile to accept PMs
Learn More...
United States
21881 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coin, please review the buy/sell rules below, specifically around needing 250 posts to sell on CCF:

http://goccf.com/t/221419

Thx!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 386Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: