Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is The Marks On This 1957-D From The Die?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 444Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
662 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2021  10:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Learn More...
United States
23312 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2021  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@gros, you have posted this in the grading section, but seem to be asking about a potential die event. Can you please clarify what you are looking for from posting this thread? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2021  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

[/@gros, you have posted this in the grading section, but seem to be asking about a potential die event. Can you please clarify what you are looking for from posting this thread? Thx.]

I am truly sorry about that , my original intent was to ask you guys to grade this. I guess my mind wandered after looking at what pictures I posted. On Lincoln's jacket close to the rim and on the reverse above the O and N are the marks I am referring to. I do see one coin mark but was curious about the other marks. By the way I have used the search button in the forum and also googled it. The marks are not obvious with the naked eye. I just wanted a fresh opinion on the subject.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
14754 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those marks would be what are known as "bag marks" from coming
in contact with other coins.
Learn More...
United States
23312 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2021  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
my original intent was to ask you guys to grade this

Ok then you've got it in the right spot. Thx for clarifying!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17888 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The marks on the shoulder and O (reverse) are from the planchet. The shoulder takes a lot of material to fill the die and when it doesn't (like this coin) the roughness of the original planchet does not get smoothed out. Those areas of weakness in strike are VERY common across the entire Lincoln cent series.

On the reverse this incomplete die filling will make the top of the O in ONE and the E PLUR weak when it gets real bad. Sometimes to the point where PLU are obliterated. With very weak die pressures (used to extend die life) the weakness also will show in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. This part of the die is opposite the top of the head which also takes a lot of metal to fill.

My coin is similar to yours but a bit weaker. If you look closely, you can see exactly what I'm saying above.

Hope this helps!

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17888 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2021  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now, if you look at this overlay, you can very clearly see why this happens in those areas:

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2021  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

[/Those marks would be what are known as "bag marks" from coming
in contact with other coins.]

I have seven other 57-d's with the identical marks and I figured the math possibilities are very high that this could happen. Badthad really helped clear that up for me. THANKS, the coins themselves are absolutely gorgeous, except for the scratches under magnification and if anyone could let me know how bad does this affect the grade? Although the scratches seem to work themselves out on each coin with less and less noticeable with a glass, but not completely
Edited by grospoisson
11/07/2021 10:00 am
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2021  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuffaloIronTail to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice coin with clean fields and a good strike.

I really like the color, especially the reverse.

Looks like a 66 to me.

Pete
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 444Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: