Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1960 South African Penny But Not Copper?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 580Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
55 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2021  7:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Yorick to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Another one for the knowledgeable folks here. Everything I seem to find has this listed as copper/brass, but this certainly is not. It's just a hair over 31mm using a ruler, certainly within my margin of measuring error. It appears to be made of nickel or perhaps copper nickel. The 2 1/2 shilling of the same year is silver and is a bit larger. Ideas?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1531 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2021  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight should be about 9.6 grams, and this could be plated with something.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19598 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2021  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some South Africa Pennies of this vintage were made of brass, not bronze, but
of copper nickel, I know nothing.
The yellow brass Pennies had a Voortrekker wagon reverse, - not pictured in my edition of Krause World Coins

If coin pictured is of pure nickel (I doubt it), or copper nickel, it would be an off-metal strike, If this is the case, it may be a Mint sport, and this coin could turn out to be quite valuable.

For comparison,
the South Africa .500 silver Half Crown weighs 14.13 grams, the .500 silver Florin 11.31 grams.

Copper nickel Pennies with central hole were produced for British West Africa. There is a vague possibility that an unholed blank may have been used to produce the coin pictured. Weight would help in this investigation.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to weigh it on a very unscientific food scale and was getting 9g and 10g noticed a small discoloration on the edge. It does appear to be copper there. Then tried the magnet test. I believe you are right and it is plated. It was slightly magnetic, enough to stick to the magnet.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19598 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2021  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There always remains the possibility that it is nickel plated.
Not hard to do in a high school lab experiment.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10371 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2021  10:07 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The yellow brass Pennies had a Voortrekker wagon reverse, - not pictured in my edition of Krause World Coins

sel - you're thinking of the first type of 1-cent coins issued from 1961 to 1964. The 1960 penny was the last of the pre-decimal pennies and it should look just like the OP's except it should be made of bronze.

Quote:
There always remains the possibility that it is nickel plated.

Edited by NumisRob
11/13/2021 10:07 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19598 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2021  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumisRob: You are right.
My collection of lower valued coins is rather extensive, but not that well organized, and I failed to find the brass Voortrekker One Cent (not penny).
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3851 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2021  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably just a really shiny coin or plated.

It is easy to get confused with 61/64 Cent coins - as they are brass and show a Voortrekker wagon rather than the "Dromedaaris" - but these coins are the same size and weight (30.5mm, 9.45grams).

A Brass cent of early 60s (Right).

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23407 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2022  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details, cleaned or polished.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 580Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: