Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Did I Find A Circulated Canadian Proof In The Us?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,241Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
610 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2021  3:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
HI folks

Long story short, I found this 2009 Canadian quarter in a US used-car seat yesterday and after cleaning the "ick" off of it, noticed that it has a nice shine to it. Then I saw some dark spots. I took a look at the edge and started wondering if I found a circulated proof, since it doesn't look like a US quarter, with the two-tone-two-metal look. This one is all silver-color.

Not knowing anything about Canadian coins, I thought I'd ask folks here if this looks like a circulated proof or not.

The photos are NOT very good, I am afraid. They make the flaws look %400 worse than they appear in person! They also don't show the shine the coin still has.

And so I ask: is this a circulated Canadian proof found in Massachusetts? OR a plain-Jane coin spent by a tourist?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3118 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I've seen when talking about shine, Canadian circulation coins have just as much shine as a US proof coin. You didn't post any photos to compare as well?
Pillar of the Community
United States
610 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2021  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OH FOR PETE'S SNAKES, I forgot to post the pics!!!!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3693 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
doesn't look like a proof coin. see if it sticks to a magnet.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15244 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2021  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a regular business strike.
Canadian quarters since 1999 are made from a steel core with a nickel, copper, nickel plating
so there would be no two tone on the edge.
Edited by JimmyD
11/16/2021 4:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
610 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2021  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Canadian quarters since 1999 are made from a steel core with a nickel, copper, nickel plating
so there would be no two tone on the edge.

AHA! See? This is why I asked you smart peeps!

Geesh, Canadian coins are pretty nice quality, then!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15244 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

That's because we don't use zinc
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3118 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2021  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol I'll post a 2021 circulation quarter in this thread so you can see what they normally look like. I usually can't look at them in the light
And get semi blinded some times when I look at new coins in the daylight as they reflect like a mirror.

Edit blinded not indeed, auto correct fix.

Edited by Wrekkdd
11/16/2021 6:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
610 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2021  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3118 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2021  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nell250,that basically sums it up lol,maybe it's coins that have been starting all the forest fires here.... People! Stop leaving your coins in the car reflecting at trees through your windshields!
Pillar of the Community
United States
610 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HA!

I tried to see the standard coins on the Canada mint website but they don't seem to offer any of them for sale? (I DID find something else that I splurged on... HAD to have it and it wasn't too pricey)
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's because we don't use zinc
To be clear, only our useless "should have ended when yours did" cents have zinc.
Pillar of the Community
United States
610 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BY THE WAY, does Canada use the term SPECIMEN as opposed to PROOF?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3118 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canada has specimen and proof sets depending on the year. It's a confusing topic for me personally. Depending the year the specimen and proof coins had a completely different finish. Pre 1999 or so the proof strikes looked like post 2000 specimen strikes. It's a topic I need to research more.

To answer your question the answer is no. Specimen and proof coins are completely different.
Edited by Wrekkdd
01/20/2022 4:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
610 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AHA... that sort of clears things up... sort of...

;-)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2653 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

you must not have seen our $2 coins. the counterfeiters make nicer issues than the mint.

PS, maybe 1 in 100 mint.ca offerings will ever hold their value. buy it if you like it, caveat: expect worth to be 1/2 or 1/4 of what you paid for it a year from now
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,241Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: