Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

UK Half Penny Sized, Blank Token

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 426Next Topic  

Germany
3 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  1:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Muppet to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks,
I'm searching for help identifying two possibly British tokens.
While metal detecting in Germany I found a 1921 British Penny and two blank "planchets" out of the same hole.
While the Penny is just a regular Penny coin, the two blank planchets might have been used as tokens. They are made out of bronze, most likely the same alloy as the Penny coin. They are exactly the size (diameter wise) of a pre decimal half Penny coin but they are a very little thinner in thickness. With a weight of 4.2 to 4.25 grams they are also a bit lighter than half Penny coins.
Both planchets / Tokens don't show any signs of significant use / wear and on one side each have a little sharp edge as if they were just cut out of the original metal sheet short time before they were lost. They are perfectly round and plain and appear to be manufactured with a machine rather than by hand.

I suppose around the end of world war II the British troops might have manufactured and used these planchets as half Penny tokens because there might have been a coin shortage for the soldiers fighting abroad.

What are your ideas about these unusual finds?
Because they came out of the same hole in the ground as the Penny I strongly believe that they were lost together.

Thanks for your help in advance, sorry for my bad English and best regards from Germany,

Muppet
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42745 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9771 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Muppet and

I've never heard of any blank halfpenny-sized tokens, but I wonder if they could have been tokens issued by the local NAAFI establishment. Possibly British troops forming part of the army of occupation received the tokens to pay for goods or services. Maybe they originally had values painted or marked on them. I'm sure someone else will have a theory.
Germany
3 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Muppet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for your support and suggestions!
Actually today was the 2nd time I found pre decimal British coins in my northern German home town. The first time I found a pocket spill including a 1900 Penny, a 1942 nickelbrass Threepence and a 1940 (fifty percent silver) Sixpence.
Learn More...
United States
108250 Posts
Learn More...
Australia
14014 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The British were only involved in a small way during the occupation of the Rhineland, controlling a small territory around Cologne. Unless your finds were in that area, I suspect they have nothing to do with British soldiers.

If they're blank, rimless, and have a "spur" where they seem to have been broken off a larger piece of metal, then they're probably not numismatic, but rather pieces of "Scrap metal" that just happen to be coin-sized. I don't know how things were done in Europe, but in America, when electrical boxes are installed they need to have holes punched in them for the wiring; the resultant round metal discs can look very coin-like and are often found by metal detectorists and confused for coins, but they're just scrap metal.

It's possible that the British coin was treated as just another piece of scrap metal too, rather than as money.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
21955 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2021  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mup, any chance of you posting a couple overall pictures of one of these? Also, based on your description it sounds as though these were punched from sheet stock, so please also add a pic of the edge. Thanks!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Germany
3 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Muppet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello to you all, especially Spence

Tomorrow I can upload some pictures if you want.
Actually today I went to the site where I found the items, again. Unfortunately this time I only found some modern change (Euro) and a Prussian uniform button from the German empire.

Best regards, Muppet
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 426Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: