Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Trading Marketplace?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 447Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  1:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, in the category of "nice problem to have", I have inherited a bunch of nice old NGC slabbed gold (pre-33 & foreign), but many duplicates, not really the kind of thing I want to collect, etc.

At the same time, I have a wish list of coins I want, and wonder if there is any marketplace where collectors trade coins of equal value, thus avoiding the whole bid/ask spread, eBay/auction fees, all that. If not, there should be :) Many thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8694 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Russian Federation
147 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd recommend to try Numista.com. At least until you have enough posts to be able to trade here:)
Edited by Grinya
11/26/2021 2:23 pm
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, Numista looks very interesting, spans the entire globe and unbelievable variety of coins .. it's a little overwhelming, not immediately clear how it works but will read up & keep clicking around.

U-Coin appears to be another, pops up next to Numista in various searches.

The idea of a trading marketplace just seems (in theory) quicker, cheaper etc than buying/selling, of course there needs to be a mechanism for security etc and the odds that both sides would match on what they each have to trade might be low.. thanks all & further opinions welcome.
Edited by TimNH
11/26/2021 3:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
971 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A local coin club can be a good resource. I am not sure of many trading resources, but this forum is a good place to start.
Learn More...
Australia
14016 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Coin trading" on the Internet usually involves cheap base-metal items, rather than gold. If you want to trade gold-for-gold, the best place might be one of the larger brick-and-mortar coin-shop dealers with a large stock of gold coins. You'd also avoid the angst of postage either way.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
4593 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is numista but gold or any high value coins are iffy. I wouldn't send you for example a 2019 S-ERP for a trade, how would I be protected for example if you didn't send me the gold, same why you send me a gold coin other than my morales what protection do you have. At least with PayPal you both are protected, sell your duplicate gold coins and use the money to buy what you want.
Edited by hfjacinto
11/26/2021 8:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1076 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please very very careful trading high value items through the mail. Don't get burned on a coin worth a couple grand because the other guy ships nothing and says your coin got lost in transit too.

Maybe you have a local coin club you can join and trade in person straight up.

A local store will value your coins at a discount because they will say they have to make a profit on every transaction, sales or trade. But it's possible they have a board you can post on too to find another local.

Netting a sale of 85-90% of market value because you used a platform isn't the worst. It's probably better than the coin shop or dealer offered.

A lot of collectors here have positive things to say about consigning to GreatCollections. They bring strong hammer prices and you might still net more there even after their fees than if you sold it by yourself to "avoid any costs."

Good luck!
My hoard of '82s is up to 223! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 16, 1782 x 58, 1882 x 62, 1982 x 37
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all, great advice, and yea the more I think about it, the more it seems a 10% or so 'hit' is inevitable, or else there would be risk of scams. I like the idea of trading w/ a local dealer, or maybe I will make 136 more posts and list 'em here in the trading forum :)
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 447Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: