Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974 D LMC BU Rim Pulled Off Strike Through?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 355Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3235 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  08:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wow okay I'm quite surprised I found this. I was going through some old BU rolls I picked up two years ago (I've run out of things to search so I'm just doing it a second time around).

So far I found nothing, then I kid you not, the very last coin had this.

I thought it was a die break at first, but the texture is quite strange, it doesn't have the polished look a die break normally has.

Not what I thought it was, check the bottom of the post for the analysis.

What do you all think? Thanks!

EDIT: It looks almost as if part of the rim was pulled off somehow, and part of it remained on the surface of the coin. Not sure if that's "how it looks" rather than that's "what it is."

So it turns out that I might've been right with that guess. Check this photo out:

There seems to be an indent where the rim used to be, but maybe it was pulled off during the striking process?
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Progress can only be achieved through trial and error. Failure is the greatest teacher.
Edited by SilverCents
11/27/2021 08:45 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5386 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it does look like a small part of the rim was sheared off and it moved over the device. It looks like it is 'held in place' by a small part where it didn't fully separate from the rim.
My question is : Is it pressed onto the coin between the "TR" or is it kinda loose?
Edited by Dearborn
11/27/2021 7:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3235 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for that input Dearborn. Now that I examine physically, it certainly isn't a struck through.

It's barely held in place by the part still attached by the rim. But I'm curious, would this be considered PMD if that's the case? The coin doesn't seem to have seen much of daylight at all, so I'm just wondering what this would qualify as.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Progress can only be achieved through trial and error. Failure is the greatest teacher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6767 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a 'shaving', anchored at the rim and shifted counter clockwise. Would be interesting to know if the apparent dangling shard is firmly anchored on Abe's head (extending through the T and R, or not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3235 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned ijn1944, I thought it was firmly attached, but it's quite the opposite. I'm carefully handling it at this moment as it seems that the shaving is very delicate, at least, to detachment.

Thanks for your assessment as well!
Edited by SilverCents
11/27/2021 09:03 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64361 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super close-ups!
Valued Member
United States
239 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirguardian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking a retained cud up until the last comments.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1230 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have wrote this off as PSD but your closeups are so sharp, it looks like you can see flow lines in the anomaly that are moving in the same direction as what is in the field of the coin. I blew up your pic a little more to see what you and others think. I'm still not sure though. In any case, very nice pics!

-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5386 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That IS a good looking coin, 2x2 that puppy before it gets knocked off.

Great images too. (they were very helpful to me to see what was going on with the rim.
Edited by Dearborn
11/28/2021 09:35 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3235 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all!

Interesting analysis MC, thanks for sharing. I am also curious to see what the others say, it's quite an oddball!

Thank you Dearborn! Yup, it's all safe and secure for the time being. I'm glad you liked my photos, I tried to capture it well.

If anyone has a clue as to what this would be classified as, please go ahead and share your Two Cents! (Pun very much intended)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2116 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was asked to contribute to this conversation. Since the displaced metal is only tenuously attached to the rim and rests lightly on the surface of the coin, it's probably post-strike damage. However, I cannot exclude the possibility that this is lamination peel that has been displaced after the strike.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3235 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for giving us your opinion Mr. Dimaond, I appreciate it greatly. Have a splendid day!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 355Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: