Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1934 Peace Dollar Grade

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 380Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
355 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  7:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey folks,

What do you think this one would grade?

Thanks!

Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An unhappy coin, but it should grade AU It might even escape a details grade -- AU55 if it does -- but it has obviously been improperly stored.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11224 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS62 straight. I think the eye appeal will keep it short of 63. it does appear to have been improperly stored though
Edited by panzaldi
12/04/2021 4:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3573 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough to accurately judge surfaces, but I'll say AU58. I don't think it looks that bad. If it were mine, I'd give it a quick xylene soak, and lightly roll over with a xylene soaked qtip. I've found it occasionally lightens that dark high point toning you get from improper storage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1003 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63 is my guess. Not sure why some think this will detail, I only a wisp of whitman toning.
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ty- I was wondering how to get that off, thanks for the tip.

Where do you get your xylene that is most convenient?
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the high point toning is a little off-putting.

This one has a ton of luster still folks.
Edited by NumismaticsFTW
12/04/2021 6:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3573 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NumismaticsFTW, can pick it up at Home Depot next to the acetone

It won't remove the toning, only thing that will do that is an acid, which of course will change the surfaces. Xylene will not. It's my go to if acetone does not do the trick. In my experience, it does help to lighten this type of toning, still leaving behind a light golden brown toning. This one is a great example to experiment on. May also help with a bit of the haze.

Make sure to post after pics, if you decide to try it out.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64439 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-63.
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ty- Thank you much
Pillar of the Community
United States
832 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking forward to the after pics!
smat
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11224 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ty2020B - never heard of xylene. how does that differ from acetone and what can it remove that acetone cannot?
Pillar of the Community
United States
726 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's up with all the roughness on the coin? Obverse is pretty bad from the pics, looks... sandy?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4469 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't go higher than AU without seeing what is under that dark gunk. Might be better if some acetone reveals luster and good surfaces. Some chance at a details, environmental, grade depending on how she cleans up.
Edited by fenton
12/10/2021 07:38 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 380Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: