Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Surge In Smash And Grab Crime - Coin Shows?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 411Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
6774 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  07:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
With the surge of large retail smash-and-grab crime in the US, I'm wondering if coin show organizers are considering any measures to thwart that kind of threat. I'm not asking for a discussion on the tactical side of event planning, just curious if organizers are keeping up with crime trends and are responding accordingly.

Imagine the chaos if 4 or 5 (or more) cars rolled up to a show location and 8-10+ thieves leap out, rush the door, grab what they can in under 90 seconds, and be gone. I'd think the show would have been 'cased' in advance to identify the best 'targets'. Especially vulnerable could be mid-sized shows held in large populous areas where there is much numismatic material on hand, are close to freeways/interstates. and have a 'light' security presence.

Makes one think.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5317 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  10:49 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thought never crossed my mind but you are 100% correct. Here's hoping that coin show organizers are taking that into consideration.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21594 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big shows (FUN, ANA), highly doubtful they'd get out the door. Lots of plain clothes LE, about 4 to 1 to unis.
Learn More...
United States
108406 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are two local coin shows I attend, at two different venues.

Both have only one point of entry-exit that is manned by at least one armed uniformed officer. (There are usually more and there are UCs on site as well.)

You rush the door at your own peril.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16517 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most dealers at coin shows carry a hand gun .And a large show I'm sure has armed guards . Thing is if they all started shooting it would turn out to be some mess with innocent casualties .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
6774 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes T-BOP, certainly don't want to go too far down that rabbit hole, but it wouldn't take much to generate a number of casualties. Professional law enforcement would have rules of engagement to follow before slinging lead. Competent bad guys would know that. Let's hope this never comes to pass.

One factor to consider is how close to 'the door' can cars/trucks get--20 feet, 60, 200? Many local shows have entrances in close proximity to drive throughs and parking lots.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4144 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sad to even bring this up !
But I guess that is the world we are currently
living in . To even think to carry a gun , let alone
use one ..wow !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16517 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes ,nothing surprises me anymore these days . I don't know how it is in Canada but America is going berserk with the craziest kinds of crime .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
Australia
795 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ijn1944, I had to chuckle when I read "Competent bad guys would know that". Most of the flash mob robberies are done by people on the wrong end of the IQ (and common sense) bell curve. Look at how many idjits are caught after posting stupid bragging videos on farcebook or other social media wearing their stolen threads or flashing the cash.
Would the dealers even use the guns they carry when there are 50+ morons smashing things and grabbing stuff knowing *** Excessive Political Commentary Removed! ***
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 411Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: