Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1847 Gothic Crown. How To Tell If Replica

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,351Next Topic
Page: of 2

United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  06:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pgc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sorting through my late husbands 40 years collection of things I came across this 1847 Gothic crown mounted in a surround that allows you to swivel to view each side. I know nothing about coins but have tried researching it but find there are lots of replicas about. How do I tell if this is a replica or the real thing please.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
14657 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

You could always google an original 1847 crown and compare for discrepancies
or you can post a clear photo of both sides on this forum and there will be someone hear who can help you.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
715 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

We really need to see pictures. Some are very obvious copies, some are given away by small details known to exist on fakes, and some need to be seen in hand by a coin expert.
Clear photos of both sides and the edge, along with weight if possible will get us closer.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44629 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67635 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too would like to see photos. So I can learn from the many knowledgeable participants on this site.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10318 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and
Please also take photos of the edge lettering as this is often a giveaway if a coin is a forgery. Make sure at least one photo shows clearly the edge lettering with part of the reverse or obverse (heads or tails) adjacent to it.
Edited by NumisRob
12/10/2021 2:03 pm
Learn More...
United States
112162 Posts
United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2021  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pgc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully these are the images of the Gothic Crown in question

Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10318 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2021  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing screams 'fake' to me. The coin has obviously been abused which will affect its numismatic value. I'd appreciate closer and clearer photos of the edge lettering.

Here is a section of the edge of my coin for comparison:
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3825 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If that coin is real and it probably is, what a shame!

I would say its worn down to VF as well. Could be rare as its a circulated and abused example. Even in that state though, that is a good find and a very scarce coin!

NumisRob - love that you got yours out again, it is a great coin to have. I will get one eventually when I start collecting crowns.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4229 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2021  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Real Gothic Crown that was turned into a " Brooch Spinner" thus the broken clasp obverse .
A fancy piece of Mid Victorian Coin Jewellery .
United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2021  05:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pgc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will get some pics of the edge later, but in the meantime if it is a real crown, can somebody advise an approx value and where would be the best place to offer it for sale.
Thank you for your help sofar, feeling hopeful that late hubby's 'feeling' for things old and interesting was right in this case.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10318 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2021  06:46 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gothic crowns seem to fetch four-figure prices in almost any condition these days. This one recently sold on eBay for 2,250:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1847-Pro...324842444270
It was graded XF details but I'd consider it barely VF. When I bought mine, which I would grade Nearly Extremely Fine, it cost 550...
I'm sure someone would be able to advise on the best place to sell it. I wouldn't remove it from the brooch spinner as this may have curiosity value fo some collectors. It may well be that there are just two small pinholes in the edge. You could take it to a dealer and ask their advice, if there are any reputable coin shops around where you live.
Edited by NumisRob
12/17/2021 5:49 pm
United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pgc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, few more pics hopefully

This is the best I can do. Keeping my fingers crossed.
United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2021  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pgc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any thoughts anyone ?
I live in a small village so there are no reputable coin shops anywhere fairly local.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,351Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: