Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lucius Verus Coin. Good Fake, Or Real?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 366Next Topic  
Valued Member

Italy
248 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  3:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone,

Since my last post on some fakes, (and previous post on a real Nero coin) I have seen A LOT of fakes. I find it is fairly easy to tell an obvious fake.

I mentioned this earlier, but I live in Rome and there are 50 fakes for every real coin. I suppose this is to be expected since Rome is where fakes would most easily sell to unsuspecting buyers and, likely, the worst fakes would remain here while the better fakes left the country...

This coin was not an obvious fake to me and I would appreciate any insight. The coin in large - circa 30-32 mm, not espeically heavy in hand - although I could not weight it. It was also not a tin-ish base metal I have seen in some fakes. The surface was not smooth, but a bit gritty. The coin also pinged fairly well; I may be wrong, but most of the fused double planchette fakes make a 'thud' noise? However, the edge filing on this coin stuck out as being 'off'. I can't ID this one as 'clearly fake' but it did not feel perfectly genuine, nor did it SCREAM fake.

Any thoughts? Thank you all again!

chris

Pillar of the Community
United States
1016 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biancasdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely fake.

Soapy surfaces, filed edge. Also looks like a fake patina or maybe it was subject to some type of acid wash to make it look old.
Edited by Biancasdad
12/27/2021 3:43 pm
Valued Member
Italy
248 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! I am happy for the verification. I did not buy this coin, of course. I tend to kind of trust my insincts, but I want to know 'why' vs 'how I feel'. You articulated my thinking on it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6278 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are multiple entries of this particular fake on Forum's Fake Coin Reports.
Valued Member
Italy
248 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a great deal of difficulty navigating this site and can never find the fakes report.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6278 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The search page is below, but you have to join Forum to use it, I believe.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/search.php

It's the best database available for fake coin reports.

Screenshot of some returns on the search:

You can also use the Forgerynetwork.com, which doesn't require signing up. But the search function is very limited. Rulers' names work okay (after limiting the parameters in the drop-down menu), but terms like "quadriga", which will help to focus the search at Forum, don't seem to work at Forgerynetwork. So, you're left scanning page after page of fakes from particular rulers, until you find your match. Here an example of the multiple matches to the OP coin that show up at that site:
http://forgerynetwork.com/asset.asp...yt9fdOCg6Dc=

Valued Member
Italy
248 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Bob!

I am slightly embarassed I didn't catch this one before posting; as I mentioned, I see dozens that I don't bother photographing and posting because they're so obvious.

thanks again everyone.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 366Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: