Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Here Is Another Ancient I Saw In A Pile Of Fakes.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 551Next Topic  
Valued Member

Italy
239 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2021  07:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So this coin was amongst other fakes... Also not immediately apparent,(to me at least but I'm not good at this) but the lettering looks off.

Thoughts?

Pillar of the Community
United States
6273 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2021  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good catch. Yes, it's a stinker. Too bad all fakes aren't this easy to spot. One from the fake reports below.

Valued Member
Italy
239 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2021  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And this ...

Valued Member
Italy
239 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2021  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Bob... You've been great!

I am somewhat surprised that I haven't bought a fake yet... Although I suppose if I post everything here first ... Haha
Valued Member
Italy
239 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any thoughts on that small silver coin? I imagine it's authentically something ... But not much of anything...
Pillar of the Community
United States
6273 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We'd need much better/sharper pictures.
Pillar of the Community
United States
967 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the silver is an example of a
Victoriatus Denarius

Better pics would help, for authenticity- however appears to be worn/corroded - also a bankers mark on the obverse.
Edited by travelcoin
12/31/2021 10:00 am
Valued Member
Italy
239 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello... Thank you both!

I tried a half dozen times to get a better picture, but that's the best I can up with... It's probably about 8-12 mm in diameter and near impossible to photograph.
Here's a slightly cropped version...
What is a bankers mark?

It's priced at 20 euro, which is likely over priced for what it is unless there's something remarkable I'm missing.

Pillar of the Community
United States
967 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bankers mark was made to test the coin for purity and/or to see if it was solid. If you really want the coin, that is a good price. However, you may have "Newbie" fever where you are looking to buy any ancient coin because your are so excited about this hobby. I know - I had it. I bought whatever ancient I could afford.

I would step back and find an area you are interested in and start from there. It is ok to buy what you can afford, but when making the purchase think about if it would be something that needs upgrading later. Often times, if you wait a bit longer and save, you can get a coin that will be in your collection for years.
Edited by travelcoin
01/01/2022 11:15 am
Valued Member
Italy
239 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2021  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Travel-

Thank you very much for the advice and suggestion. I completely agree with you. I collect in other areas ( I also buy and sell a lot); my areas of buying and selling are steins, chess sets, playing cards, zippos, and south east Asian lacquer. I've also played with some other areas...

The thing is, living in Rome, I come across a lot of things outside of my area... Coins are one of them. I own literally two numismatic coins, the Nero and 1800 large cent that I posted on this site. I think I got both for a very good price. I am doubtful I will delve too deep into coins, but I like learning about new areas and, if the financial investment isn't much, it's interesting to hold a piece of history. Does that make sense? If picking in my normal areas is slow, it's nice to have something else (coins etc) to spice it up. 20 euro ($23) for an interesting 2000 year old coin intrigues me. I don't think I'll want to be 500 euro into a much better coin; the sensation and experience of the coin seems about the same for me ...

Although, if I saw a few beautiful specimens in person at much higher prices ... I might feel differently &

Does that make sense?
Pillar of the Community
United States
967 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2022  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Roma - In found this video interesting and might help you out:
q4wPpviP7_A
Valued Member
Italy
239 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2022  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Travel,

He does great videos. I have watched a few of his. I completely agree with his premise. As I mentioned in a few posts, I buy and sell a lot . . . and I have seen the short term gains from doing this. I also have a number of collecting areas that I cherry pick items and keep for the permanent collection so to speak. I understand that idea that 1 item worth $10,000 is much better than 10 times worth $1,000.

I guess I am just thinking out loud here, but I am not sure I want to add ancient coins to my more expensive hobby set.

To make a long post thread longer . . . I suppose the utility I receive from such an item is less the monetary gain - although that is nearly all the utility I receive from other areas of collectibles - and more the unquantifiable enjoyment of something. An example is a small late-Roman ceramic serving dish I found while scouting here. I had the item verified - not certified - but verified by two archealogists of Roman era sites; it is one of my favorite pieces. It's worth more than I paid, but certainly not worth a lot. It is intact and has black varnish and paint remenants; I enjoy holding it and feeling a connection to the long ago time. The monetary and investment potential is less than that connection; I would also feel differently if I paid $150-200 for the item vs finding it and 'discovering it' so to speak.

Gibberish? maybe, but thanks for listening. haha

r.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 551Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: