Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unnecessary Coins Of The World

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 1,664Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2022  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Such coins do not exist. Once a coin goes into the collection, it never comes out...
Same.

Quote:
For example, I have a lot of Korean won (100 and 500 won). Maybe I will go to South Korea again someday and they will be useful to me again, but for now they are in my little album.
Not being pessimistic, but there will be a time when you can no longer travel and these coins may offer some comfort; a reminder of good times had.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1177 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I'm with Sap and MrT.
Once a coin is in my collection, it's going nowhere.

Coins only shift out for upgrades.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1177 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I have a question for my colleagues. What do you do with coins that you are no longer interested in. I'm talking about cheap coins whose market value does not exceed $ 1. Coins that you bought at the beginning of your journey or that you brought from traveling to other countries. Where do you keep them and what do you do with them.

I'm always on the lookout for new coins. Would happily pay postage for the coins I don't have in my collection.
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Coins only shift out for upgrades.
What is an... upgrade?
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10544 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  08:46 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Such coins do not exist. Once a coin goes into the collection, it never comes out, unless I happen to accidentally acquire an upgrade

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1177 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

What is an... upgrade?

Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can always drop a few in the coinstar to make some one's day.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3939 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What a curious concept. Such coins do not exist. Once a coin goes into the collection, it never comes out, unless I happen to accidentally acquire an upgrade (I almost never deliberately buy an upgrade).
I think I probably tend to approach it in a similar way as well. I've been known to deliberately buy an upgrade when my original coin was particularly bad, but in that case the original coin usually also stayed.
Most of the coins in my Numista swap list are cases where I accidentally bought a lower grade version of something I already had, and couldn't think of a good reason to keep both. (Even then I usually have trouble getting around to actually swapping, but that's another question which mostly has to do with shipping costs.)

To an extent it helps (or "helps") that our apartment is such a mess that coins I acquired anywhere near "the beginning of my journey" probably aren't located at any place where I can quickly find them. And if/when I do find them I tend to treat them fairly sentimentally.
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to admit that I have probably upgraded more than a few coins in my collection, especially since I did not keep accurate records in the beginning. In those days most holes were filled with circulation finds, so I am sure things got swapped out often. I did not keep accurate records until I started using spreadsheets and even then it was a few years before I had a solid procedure.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
775 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
 I'm always on the lookout for new coins. Would happily pay postage for the coins I don't have in my collection. 
I have written to you by email, please reply.

I just want to free up space so that I don't have 363673257 coins in the collection, if I can also get at least $20- $30 for a bunch of coins, I will be happy. I'll buy myself a really worthwhile copy in the collection.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1177 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2022  02:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An update to this thread - I just received a friggen AWESOME bunch of coins from Slerk for just the postage.

What else can I say but Thankyou!!! They will definitely find a new home in my collection!

Slerk rocks!

United States
39 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2022  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wizened to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are various classes. I keep a jar of older coppers. Individually they are worth maybe $1-3, and not worth selling, but are worth keeping and are nice coins with a history and pedigree.

Then there are older coins that really have not much value. Such as aluminum coins from France in the 40s. And there are currently used coins such as Mexico pesos (worth 8 cents or so). On the day you are leaving you might leave them for the maid. This class of coins can be sold on ebay for $10 a pound or so. Not worth the trouble unless you have at least 2 pounds.

And if you left Switzerland with, say, 10 francs, worth $10, you can actually sell those on ebay for value, less shipping costs and ebay costs.
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2022  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
An update to this thread - I just received a friggen AWESOME bunch of coins from Slerk for just the postage.
Fantastic!
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
775 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2022  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Great news. I was already starting to worry that the package was lost. I am very glad that you liked the coins.
It would really take me a lot of time and effort to sell it all+ you have made room for new additions for me.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
519 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2022  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unnecessary Coins Of The World

When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought of all the "unnecessary" A-Z, Mr Squiggle and Wiggles coins the RAM has released over the last couple of years.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 1,664Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: