Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1939 Dollar For Grading. Cleaned?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 720Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2907 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  3:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked up a few dollars over the holiday for about 22$ a piece this was among them. I'm thinking EF+. There is more hair detail then the photos show but many contact marks.the coi. Has luster but most if the cartwheel luster is confined to the outer area of the coin around the legand. What do you guys think?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, I'll say AU-50. Doesn't look obviously cleaned.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19581 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55
Near enough to the most common grade for these, most saw little or no circulation.
Edited by sel_69l
01/08/2022 10:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8063 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could see AU52+. Agree, not seeing immediate evidence of a cleaning (not with steel wool, anyway).
Edited by ijn1944
01/08/2022 4:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2907 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These pictures don't capture the fine lines. I'll try and get a better shot tonight.it has nice detail for sure though.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67753 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In that case, I'll stand by.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8835 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU55
Better pics aren't going to make it an MS coin.
There is wear on the eyebrow, cheekbone below the eye, ear, and steps and pillars at the entrance.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2907 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Better pics aren't going to make it an MS coin.

When I said fine lines I meant from cleaning not that it's a higher grade. I should have said hairline scratches my apologies.

Here's another set of picture with different lighting.

Edited by Wrekkdd
01/08/2022 7:02 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67753 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM - there was no suggestion that he was fishing for a higher grade.
Edited by Coinfrog
01/08/2022 7:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3683 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coin has been wiped, slightly cleaned, it is still a 24$ coin..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed. Fine hairlines on reverse, noticeable to the right of the tower, indicate a light cleaning.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67753 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't argue.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2907 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's hard for me to tell cleaning from circulation in coins at this point. My pocket piece is starting to get a details look after a few months and it was high luster with a significant scratch on the obverse when I started chatting it around. I did get another dollar I'll post when I get a chance.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4233 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Old light cleaning . Doesn't matter on one of these
Was , is and always going to be a Bullion plus coin .
A really choice one is south of a hundred any day of the
week .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2907 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All in all sounds like a fair deal for the price. Thanks everyone.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1949 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  05:30 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bullion only.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 720Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: