Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible 1988 D LMC Transitional Die Reverse Of The 1989?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 2,140Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community

United States
511 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  2:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rabbithole1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hopefully my pictures will be clear enough. If I didnt know better ( or have a scale ) I would think it was copper. Its not..I checked
The designer initials are really well struck and thick w the crossbar. The entire cent is well struck.
Are there any other marks to look for aside from the initials?

Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Others are bound to come along with more experience, but a key indicator is the font on the reverse.

RDV 5 font tends to be slightly narrower and more rounded while RDV 6 font is slightly more broad and flatter.

Take a look at Variety Vista's page for a good example of the difference between the AM in America on the two varieties:

http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20L...arieties.htm

If you can, post closer pictures of the AM and the initials as that will be a big help.

Good Luck!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1001 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
5 & 6 are both WAM, don't know why they say there are different. Look at the G straight is 5, 6 has flared G. And one other tell is, you will never find a 6 that is MDS or LDS. Because they caught it before the dies had a chance to get old. That last monitor pic, I think it has the flared G. Need closer pic of FG.
Edited by Cujohn
01/25/2022 3:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2911 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and this is why pictures tell a thousand stories...
1,2,3, and 4 pictures are clear. the only close up is blurry and a picture of a monitor.

the 5th picture

from the position, it looks good... but it may be just the angle of the light.

the initials arent right either...

looks like RDV-005
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44614 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like RDV-005 to me.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As others have said, RDV-005. Look at the areas I have pointed out between yours and mine. Notice the cross bar and vertical bar on mine and also how far back the top curl of my G sets back, yours in line with the lower serif.
-makecents-
Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
5 & 6 are both WAM, don't know why they say there are different.

The spacing between A & M is the same, but the font (shape of the letters) is somewhat different.

The difference in the shape of the initials is still the best indicator, but the OP was asking for other markers or differences to help identify the variety.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4962 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one that I have found and in my collection. Take a good look at the proximity of the FG's closeness to the Memorial as well as the font on the G.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
44614 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is the best way to tell the difference, IMHO. I have found two P and one D
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
01/26/2022 04:41 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4962 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1, I was given a Philly version and I have found three Denver versions.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2284 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://doubleddie.com/278743.html and you has the response.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That is the best way to tell the difference, IMHO. I have found two P and one D
John1

Quote:
John1, I was given a Philly version and I have found three Denver versions.

John1 and Jim0815, you guys are miles ahead of me, I have only found one Philly. Have you tracked down what die# you have? Mine is #4.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2284 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Makecents: Do you have a source to trace the Die? I have interest in this topic.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20L...RDV0061.htm" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">silviosi, here is a link to VV's P dies http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20L...PRDV0061.htm and their D dies http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20L...DRDV0061.htm . When you get to each link, it will start on die #1, click on the far right tab and it will take you to the other dies, in order. You have already provided the link for Wexler's dies.
-makecents-
Edited by -makecents-
01/25/2022 9:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't get rid of the junk on the left side of where it starts "silviosi". Some sort of computer jargon that I cannot delete.... Can a moderator help, maybe?
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2284 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What junk? on the left side? Send me a photo screen to my e-mail. Please, Some peoples which I put the point with them for respect try to attack. was block, but this thing I will investigate, I know from who comes but I need more evidences.
Edited by silviosi
01/26/2022 12:43 am
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 2,140Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: