Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Real Or Fake Error Listing?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 474Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2874 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  4:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So to me I just see a damaged coin that was fabricated to look like an error. It's listed as double struck but this looks nothing like a double struck coin. I was going to notify the seller but as this kind of error is not in my expertise I figured I'd get a second opinion first.

I know it's probably not worth the time to even think about these listings but I hate thinking about someone buying a coin due to not being educated on the topic. It's essentially like taking advantage of children in my mind. Anyways is it worth the time to notify the seller that this is not an error or just report and forget and move on? I will use this thread from now on to report and or question any possible fake Canadian error coin listings I find while browsing eBay.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/154810435913

After taking another closer look I'm 99% sure it's just a damaged coin.
Edited by Wrekkdd
01/25/2022 4:19 pm
Valued Member
Canada
171 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're right. Looks to be a damage coin (vise job).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2874 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it looks like someone put it in between a circular clasp and then either smacked it with a hammer or ran over it in a car lol. I'll message the seller but I assume it will just cause them to be defensive or ignore me. Either way did all I could.
Learn More...
United States
23188 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adding a pic to this thread to record for posterity. I've often thought that coins like this were used at one point in restaurants to level out the legs on a rickety table or chair.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
Australia
14255 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've often thought that coins like this were used at one point in restaurants to level out the legs on a rickety table or chair.

This is possible - and I have seen so-called-errors where this is very obviously the cause - though if a coin were the only piece of metal handily available for such a "throwaway" purpose, one would logically have tried to use the lowest face value handy. Why waste a whole dime, when a cent would work just as well? Further, the other side also seems to have an indented ring - which is almost always the sign that multiple coins have been stacked together in the hopes of creating just such a "vise job".

Still, it is worth remembering that not all "fake errors" out there on Facebook, eBay etc are intentionally fraudulent. Coins have weird things happen to them all the time that deform them purely by accident, and if a non-collector (or a keen-but-clueless amateur) happens to stumble upon such a deformed coin, they can readily assume it is some kind of error and they get carried away by the "errors are valuable!!!1!" eBay tide.

I doubt that a seller of such items is going to pay attention to someone politely telling them their error isn't real. Either they already know it isn't real (because they made it themselves) or they're part of the "keen but clueless" squad - in which case, why should they believe you? They've got lots of friends who would disagree with you that it's just "worthless junk" and would be prepared to pay for such "errors", so you're outvoted.

And while selling actual fake coins on eBay is against policy, selling fake errors is a grey area. As long as the coin itself is genuine, there's nothing eBay can do about it.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2874 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Adding a pic to this thread to record for posterity. I've often thought that coins like this were used at one point in restaurants to level out the legs on a rickety table or chair.

Thanks for the photo, easier then clicking a link for sure. I could definitely see this being used as a leveler for a table or chairs. The real description should say dime struck once by die and once by chair leg lol.

After posting this and then browsing many error coins on eBay it's pointless to complain or post about them I think. I saw many "errors" for sale that were clearly damage and not possibly and error. If I spend a few hours posting them this thread would end up with 50 pages in no time lol.

I think I should pull just ignore these listing rather then trying to just call fake one them and hope other collectors and new people getting into errors learn the hard way if they decide to purchase these. I wish I could help them lol but I see it's impossible. I think some listings make me laugh or really scratch my head. With the amount of coin sales on eBay I can only hope in the future they hire professionals to pull the plus in these kinds of listings, but it would mean spending more and making less for them so I doubt I'll ever see that happen.
Edited by Wrekkdd
01/25/2022 7:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2874 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Sap, I slowly posting my post when you posted that. It makes complete sense and grey areas on eBay are new to me. I recently posted a listing that would fall into that area as well.

I learned a lot about errors and varieties before I purchased anything(out of luck) if I decided to just buy coins while first getting to know what to look for I would have made many mistakes and learned the hard way. I just wish no one had to learn "the hard way", so these postings bug me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 474Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: