Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I'm Looking To Buy This Commemorative Coin

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 782Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7515 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  07:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm looking to buy this commemorative coin
But I'm not that familiar with these
The first link is the one I want, but Have a look at the rim at K-12 to K-1, and again at K-6. On the reverse side (the side showing the Indian figure)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133951824280
it almost looks like an after market cast coin. Is this authentic?
Compare it to this other coin in the same areas:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133951824280
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133966215781
Edited by Dearborn
01/28/2022 09:13 am
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add russell1256 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you can easily find a graded coin for less
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7515 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
probably, but the prices are not far off the mark according to this site for the 1926 and 1926-S with such a low mintage:
https://coinscatalog.net/usa/coin-s...rative-coins

But, that being said, that was not my question.

..EDIT: my intention is to place a coin like this into my 7070 album and I don't want to have to crack one out for that purpose.
Edited by Dearborn
01/28/2022 07:56 am
Valued Member
United States
451 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You do realize that both links you posted are identical and are of the exact same coin, don't you?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7538 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would stay clear of the coin. Its appears to have lots of hairline scratches and multiple questionable areas. You can easily do better, there are plenty of Oregon Trail half dollars out there - no need to rush into anything!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67803 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to agree.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7515 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oops.. let me fix that..

EDIT: above link is fixed.. Thanks for pointing that posting error out to me. It is early..
Edited by Dearborn
01/28/2022 09:15 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7515 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would stay clear of the coin. Its appears to have lots of hairline scratches and multiple questionable areas.

Which is exactly why I'm asking this question. thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5511 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should be able to get that coin slabbed ( PCGS or NGC) in MS-63 or (maybe) MS-64 for the same price.
And an ANACS slab would probably be okay too.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3722 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin in your first link looks authentic, but possibly cleaned. There is some rim finning in the areas you describe, but nothing suspicious.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7515 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Zurie.

Quote:
You should be able to get that coin slabbed ( PCGS or NGC) in MS-63 or (maybe) MS-64 for the same price.
And an ANACS slab would probably be okay too.

I really don't want a slabbed coin this time (or get one, only to crack it out) to place it into my Dansco 7070 album
Pillar of the Community
United States
694 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would be great if you could find a 1928 issue. I was told that Six million were authorized but only 50,000 were struck. Then 44,000 were melted leaving a survival population of only 6,000.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5472 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love that coin. One of my favorites. I purchased a slabbed one for my 7070 and cracked it out. Lol. Send a slabbed one to me and I'll crack it out for you. Not sure what it is but I love cracking graded coins for albums. Though I must confess that I haven't built up the gumption to crack my 1909-S VDB out of its plastic tomb yet.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7515 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would be great if you could find a 1928 issue. I was told that Six million were authorized but only 50,000 were struck. Then 44,000 were melted leaving a survival population of only 6,000.

Hmm. might have to look into that.. (look, probably not buy).

Quote:
Send a slabbed one to me and I'll crack it out for you. Not sure what it is but I love cracking graded coins for albums

Gee, thanks chafemasterj. I have cracked out many coins for my albums, but I put a value level at which I hesitate to crack out coins (around $150.00). But I have been known to crack out more expensive ones, just don't like to.
However if the only way to get a nice coin is by getting it in the slab, I may just do that.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7538 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

A couple of things:

1. A total of six million half dollars were authorized for the entire Oregon Trail Memorial Half Dollar program; no specific mintage numbers were set for any individual year.

2. You can read all about the 1928 Oregon Trail coin here:

- 1928 Oregon Trail Memorial Half Dollar

It's an interesting story!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7735 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kudos to commems for bringing facts to this wide ranging discussion. The latest 'information' presented on the 1928 issue is not historically correct.

@Dearborn - take your time to find a pleasing example. These are readily available in today's coin market in lovely condition at prices comparable to the ebay examples you posted.

Best of wishes - and I hope to see your new coin soon.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 782Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: