Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My 1812 Truck Token From The Tredegar Iron Company In Wales

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 262Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
422 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  7:23 pm Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Tredegar Iron Company in Monmouthshire, Wales, issued this token in 1812 to help alleviate the shortage of "small change" that had overtaken the British Isles. That emergency stemmed primarily from the financial inability of the Crown to back and mint Regal coinage, which was in turn caused by the huge expenditures and debts incurred by George III's various military and naval conflicts with other nations, dating back (some would argue) as far as the American Revolution.

The Company issued this penny initially for use in its "truck-shop," or company store, but it circulated widely throughout Tredegar. In their "Big Green Book" on the Regency Period copper tokens, Paul and Bente Withers cite Oliver Jones's book, The Early Days of Sirhowy and Tredegar (pp. 75-76), on this topic: "Chapels, Inns, Clubs, and shopkeepers were all allowed to change this token currency at the Company Shop into ordinary currency [...] or have it booked to their credit. In this way the Shop functioned as a sort of Local Bank."

These tokens -- monogrammed TIC, for Tredegar Iron Company -- circulated so intensively during the four years before the Great Recoinage that they're seldom found today in a condition at or above VF. My specimen is one of the luckier survivors...but not by much, grade-wise.

Withers 1340-41, Davis Non-Local 40; 36mm, 26g.

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Edited by daltonista
01/29/2022 12:16 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8061 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting read! Thanks for sharing.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 262Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: