Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1793 Flowing Hair Wreath Design Maybe An Nc-3 I Think It Could Be

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 725Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
163 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2022  10:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Spencerj72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2022  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a draped bust to me, Mainly due to the wreath touching the "T" in Cent as I dont see the flowing hair / liberty cap reverses having that distinct detail. Although weight would determine what it is as a 1793 cent weighs 13.48 Grams & a draped bust weighs 10.89 grams.
I've only been collecting for a couple years (2017). Favorite Coin's are Standing Liberty quarters, Working on my type set: "knowledge is power" -Thomas Jefferson
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10523 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2022  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another swing and a miss....
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
915 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2022  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not, just look at the distance of Cent from the bow at the bottom of the wreath, way off from NC3. That is so obviously a draped bust. Just look at the bow on the reverse, a 1793 wreath has one "loop" at the top of the bow, draped bust cents have the double loop as seen on this coin.
Edited by lcutler
03/24/2022 6:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2015 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2022  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a cull draped bust.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70169 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2022  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, cull draped bust.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2022  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spencerj72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so it weighs 10.41g BUT, you still have to take in to consideration the loss from the hole coupled with massive loss from corrosion and wear, so that actually answers nothing really. Upon further inspection the reverse is sporting to many stems and ribbons it was difficult to see till I got closer. So we have a planchette who is obviously to fat for a bust sporting a different bow intertwined with the one that's appointed to this variety. I wouldn't be saying this if it weren't for the fact I can see the bonbons and stems as they should be and the Trefoil located at C and again at the T on both sides of the wreath, oh then there is the little matter of the vine and bars edge on top of that oh and lets not forget the 1793 date the only date So,
Please feel free to insert any thing you feel might answer this because I'm stuck!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2015 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2022  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're missing one big piece to the puzzle. How can this be a 1793 flowing hair if this is a draped bust? Please listen to the people who are identifying your coins. No more pictures needed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
915 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2022  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the mystery is solved. Draped bust reverse, correct weight for a draped bust..... I had to try it, I just weighed a very similar condition draped bust, I got 10.21
Edited by lcutler
03/25/2022 5:24 pm
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2022  03:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spencerj72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I think I see it maybe I stand corrected let me see if we're seeing the same things here that make it a bust.

Nope I just don't see it still looks like a flowing hair
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2022  03:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spencerj72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now let's be serious take a good look at all the die cracks and clash if you just look at the bust you can see it's high curved the hair where is the bow please someone help me understand this or am I just seeing things
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2022  03:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spencerj72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tell you what show me an obverse to match this one on a bust and I'll give in but I'm betting you can't.
Pillar of the Community
United States
915 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2022  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, look at the hairline at the top of the forehead on a draped bust large cent. See that curl of hair that protrudes forward from the head? Now look at the top of the forehead on the flowing hair cent, the forehead sweeps into the hair with no protrusion. Look at your coin, there is the hair protrusion of the draped bust! As far as matching it to a specific variety, it is in such low grade and there are so many draped but varieties! Maybe with the coin in hand it would be possible to match the variety if there are a few pickup points left, but definitely not form these pictures. You can do additional research to try to match the draped bust year and variety but for now it is just an unidentified draped bust cent. With all due respect, if you are going to try to identify low grade coins, you need to focus on what the coin is, and not what you want it to be. Good luck.
Edited by lcutler
03/27/2022 05:07 am
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2022  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spencerj72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can respect that though I won't agree I can respect and won't take this one any further as I know it would do nothing to change the mine of either
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 725Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: