Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1776 Coin And Wanting Some Information On (Id: Likely Contemporary Counterfeit Half Penny)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 229Next Topic  
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  4:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Newbie new to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi I'm new here I'm from England I have a 1776 coin and Wanting some information on it I'm thinking of selling but no idea how much its worth
Learn More...
United States
111980 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your reply was split into its own topic and moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.

Please show us what you have!

Uploading Photos

Pixlr Desktop Image Optimizer (Tutorial) - Pixlr Mobile Image Optimizer (Tutorial)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
14631 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

We can't help much without seeing the coin.
Supply a large clear photo of each side so we can see the details.
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie new to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie new to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie new to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found it by the road side over 16 years ago that was one lucky find
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
14631 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a George III Halfpenny. There were no halfpennies struck in 1776.
It is either an US Evasion piece or a copy, I am not familiar enough on these to tell the difference.
Perhaps one of our early coin experts could weigh in on this one.
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie new to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We was wondering if it is a machin mill coin
Learn More...
Australia
14255 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're in England, so I'd assume it's a local counterfeit, rather than an American one.

Counterfeiting was very common in the late 1700s. A majority of the halfpenny "coins" circulating in the 1780s were either counterfeits, or "evasions" - medals designed to resemble coins, but with some design or text changes to try to get around anti-counterfeiting laws.

Counterfeiting was of course illegal; numerous convicts despatched to Australia were convicted of forgery. Some of those forgers even helped make Australia's first coins after they got here, putting their coin-making skills to official use.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie new to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing if it's counterfeit it's not worth anything then it's not in great condition but it is as old as America 1776 was the year America became a country
Valued Member
United Kingdom
406 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't it 1775?

I don't know if counterfeits made in Britain at that time would have had correct legends. You risked being hung for trying to pass off, when you could just change the legends to something humorous and spend the fakes without consequence.
Edited by JohnConduitt
05/10/2022 7:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1553 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JC is right its 1775 as you can see the top of the horizontal bar. 1775 is the most common contemporary circulating counterfeit for GIIIs. These vary in weight and most hover around 125-135 to the regals of 150 grains. Evasions were actually made side by side with these GII/GIII issues with EXACT legends as the regals. Its value is around $5-10. The "5" and "6" is difficult to differentiate at times as we see in this example post.

John Lorenzo
Learn More...
Australia
14255 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...but it is as old as America 1776...

Perhaps not quite that old. The counterfeiters often deliberately made coins that looked old and worn, and gave them suitably "old dates" to match. The late 1780s was the height of the halfpenny-counterfeiting era, though it could date from the 1790s or even early 1800s too.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 229Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: