Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Ding It With The Dinger" To Find Big Money From Damaged Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 200Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3210 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  09:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am one that disagrees with the conventional thinking that copper coins cannot be reshaped. If one observes the Mohs scale of materials, Cu(copper) falls on the lower end of the spectrum @ 3 compared to Dia(diamonds) @ 10.

https://simplicable.com/en/mohs-scale

The ease of malleability within insulated sheaths, allow this substance to reshape relatively easy along with any other lower end Moh material such as Ag(silver) or Au(gold). It is imperative that the most appropriately modified tool and process be engaged.

Watch out for steel or zinc pennies, however, making the task an exercise in futility.
Edited by mdpmedia
05/11/2022 09:17 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5465 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  09:25 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you say 'reshaped' what are you referring to? Something like straightening out a bent one or something more detail oriented?
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3210 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my particular 2 " long contraption being held by the fashionable model to best illustrate the intricate design:

This is simply one of those weighed handles that connects to the bottom of a ceiling fan cord. The compactness, smaller diameter circular end cap and extra weight gave be a better feel during the tap by the hammer. I took a couple of circular cut layers of cut-resistant gorilla tape and stuck them on top of each other to the end of this device that we'll refer to as a 'dinger' going forward.

Then I cut two 2 x 2 squares of this same durable tape and also stuck them on top of each other to the top of a manual work bench press' flat area which has a very hard steel composition. The double layers of tape on each surface prevent abrasive patina scratches from scraping or contacting coin metal together with a metal hammer head or metal mounting surface. This setup essentially eliminates the possibility of potential residual 'dings from the dinger' - kind of a catchy phrase :-)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3210 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's critical to emphasize that any excessive tap on the top of the dinger can still produce an unwanted crease/dent on the coin in question. It is for that reason to employ the use of an all-purpose ball-peen and 'purposely lighter' jeweler's hammer: having flat and dome-shaped end pieces for potential uses with any other application.

My particular hammer has multiple screw-on heads on both sides for different applications. The head-only assembly (excluding the handle) weighs roughly 50g. Find them on EBay or at Harbor Freight for less than $20 per the last time I checked a year ago.

I suggest inspecting the coin after each mini tap from the dinger. The dinger can be better focused in on an affected section of a coin by slightly tilting it when tapping it etc. The effectiveness of a tap should ideally be 'frequently' evaluated by placing the coin on a flat surface and pushing down on all of the sides of the 360 degree circumference edge of both the obv. & rev. The coin will still tilt upwards if you can't stick a fork in it.

I cannot tell you how many copper and silver coins I've salvaged including one that was detailed as bent, resubmitted and returned as a normal non-detailed example. It actually slipped past the TPG since the repair looked so good.

Good luck and start finding those hopelessly cracked diamonds in the rough waiting for a knight in shining armor: the dinger!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67573 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin will still tilt upwards if you can't stick a fork in it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3708 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think he means if the coin still tilts, it's not done!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67573 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see, thanks!
Learn More...
United States
111987 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3210 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the jeweler's hammer I was refering to. I was off a bit on the weight.

Depending upon the different attachment heads while excluding the handle's weight, a 70 gram head including both accessories works well for me.

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 200Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: