Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1967 68 And 69 Kennedy Errors?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 191Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  02:21 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SuperSteveFly to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found these few coins with this crazy doubling?

Would this be DDO / DDR or DDD?
Sorry I am new and still trying to learn the ropes.

The first is a 1967 Kennedy front side

Next is a 1968

Finally the back of a 1969

There are alot more spots on the coins like this, I tried to keep the pictures down lol
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44599 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  04:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. That is MD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  06:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrhakfbacon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Machine Doubling. Still worth some silver melt value(40% silver)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
14631 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  06:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Common Machine Doubling.
Nice photos but please crop in the future, too much wasted web space there.
Edited by JimmyD
05/12/2022 07:13 am
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skeletonwizard8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely Machine Doubling.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1615 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Machine Doubling is so common on halves, for some dates it is tougher to find examples without such doubling
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57307 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the affected areas:
1. They are on the outside/inside edges of the devices.
2. They have removed the contour of these devices.
3. They all show a 90 degree angle on the affected areas.
Thus they are all Machine Doubling.

Note how the contour is removed on the devices on the right side? That is Machine Doubling on the two lower images on the right side.

The contour is removed by the loose movement of the machine, flattening that area of the contour. Note how on th normal side of the devices you see light at the top of the devices and slow changing darker on the devices. On Machine Doubling, the goes from light do dark and doesn't change color gradually. All caused by a loose machine. A double die is enlarged because the doubling is on the die, thus the term "doubled die". Doubled dies can have Machine Doubling on them, but Machine Doubling never makes a doubled die. It just damages the devices. Thus don't look on the outsides/insides of devices. That is where you see Machine Doubling or die wear. Hope this helps. If not ask another question or start a new thread on with the question you have.

CoopHome What is contour removal? Why does the machine cause this and not the die?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SuperSteveFly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all so much for the help. It is really encouraging to have a place like this in starting out.

I spent a good amount of time reading over the wexler site and think I have a bit better understanding of what I am looking for now.

Thanks in advance for dealing with me while I learn :)
I'm determined to get better at finding these and grading. I'm probably in the early phase where EVERYTHING looks special lol. I'm guessing after my first few legit finds I will get better at spotting the differences, but the "flat" edges description really helps me identify the MD.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7325 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 191Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: