Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading A 1799 Half Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 146Next Topic  
United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  03:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Morning all,

This recently popped through my door. I would say it's EF, but being a novice at grading, I'd be grateful for second, third or fourths opinions.

Have a good day all.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19563 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  06:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Old time wear on Britannia's hair, and the tips of her boobs, same on the high point of Geo 111's head garland leaves, long since patinated over. Nevertheless the patina has a rather nice rich even chocolate color.
Fields look to be clean, but I can see a few minor, but significant digs, rims OK. (Remember: these are soft pure copper coins, not harder bronze.)

Not quite EF (British grading) to my eye,
grade between VF and good VF

Well above average grade and presentation for this issue.

These were part of Governor King's Australian Proclamation coinage, and saw very heavy wear in the Sydney Colony.
This example probably never left the U.K.
United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  06:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks mate,

I'm quite pleased with this one. I should really blow all the fluff off before taking a pic.

Quote:
and the tips of her boobs

Poor old girl, her boobs always seem to get the rough end of the stick. I can see a couple of very minor surface cracks as well now, but that's under my big magnifier.

Quote:
These were part of Governor King's Australian Proclamation coinage, and saw very heavy wear in the Sydney Colony.
This example probably never left the U.K.

This is interesting as I didn't know this type of coin would have been used in Australia, so everyday's a school day.

Much obliged.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3822 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all Kipster - you seem to be hitting the ground running, 2 coins from you and 2 beauties!
I wish all the new members were showing things like yours!

In case I haven't done so already.

The coin - its beautiful, I looked at my grading book and there is not actually that much difference between an EF and Vf one, but heaps of difference between BU and EF and VF down to Fine.

I pretty much agree with sel_69 but I think your coin is much closer to EF. Some light breast wear is tolerated on a EF example and I see some wear in the waist folds. The beading and rim scream EF rather than VF, but there is a teensy bit too much wear for EF.

Nice shape too, no dents or bumps - overall I am going to grade your coin gVF - aEF.

Fantastic - my one grades aGood!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrhakfbacon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say Choice VF, maybe XF(EF)
United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all,

I really appreciate the replies, and love to see different opinions of things.

Quote:
2 coins from you and 2 beauties!

Thank you. I'm trying to build a quality collection from the word go and it would be so easy for me to plunge on some right old tat (past experience of purchasing right old tat that was fit for the bin), so I decided I'd rather keep the powder dry and nab some quality when it shows its head.

If it's somewhere between VF and EF, I'll be happy. That said, price point was good enough for me to grab it even at VF.

I've acquired a few more lately which I'll stick up when I get 5 minutes away from writing the essay I've got writers block on.

Cheers all.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67600 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-50/53 using the Sheldon scale. Beautiful example.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 146Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: