Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

General Opinion On When To Grade A Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 193Next Topic  
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  11:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kryscoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi

I've been curious for some time now on when and if to grade a coin solely for condition. Is it worth it? Is there a general rule of thumb? Age? I suppose what I'm really asking, is there any other way that looking up each coin grade/value listed.

And now that I've asked my question, I'm not even sure about it. lol I have a huge amount of '92 and '93 Lincoln cents. And maybe if I have this many, 10,000 other people do too? I'm learning and trying to not get lost in all the Coin World information. Thanks!

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1861 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

When you say grade, do you mean send into a TPG or grade yourself?

I suppose that all depends on your wants and objectives for collecting. Cost factors in most of the time. If you think you have a coin of value (and value is somewhat subjective to you individually or the market) then you may want to have it graded.

Some collectors desire more raw coins, others graded, others some of each.

I think you need to learn all you can about the coin series you want to collect, then you will arm yourself with some tools to grade yourself.

I personally have only sent in less than 10 coins over 15 years for TPG grading. The rest of my raw collection I've attempted to grade myself, and/or posted here for member input.

Good luck!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1111 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainkurt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I look up values here
http://www.numismedia.com/rarecoinprices/fmv.shtml
I use PCGS photo grade to determine grades.
https://www.PCGS.com/photograde

I put my best example in a 2x2
My second best in a folder
And keep about a roll of each year/mint mark of my best coins in tubes.
The rest go back into circulation unless there is a market for them on eBay.

For instance pre '83 cents have copper value so I save them or sell them in bulk.
Same with wheat cents.
Nickels I do the same as above.
Dimes I only save a few BU examples.
Quarters I do not save unless the are BU, although some have suggested saving choice Au examples as attrition is making some years scarce.

I have never sent a coin in for grading. A coin must have a significant value over what I paid for it to justify the $20-$50 it costs to get a coin graded. That has not happened for me yet. I have even found modern coins that I have graded and believe are worth $75+ that I have only paid a few dollars for but for me I don't need to pay someone else to tell me that and take all the value out of the coin. That might change 10-20 years down the line when I am thinking of passing the coins on to my heirs if they have no knowledge of values but I hope my record keeping will aid them more then wasting money on grading.

It takes an expert collector to play the grading game with TPG's. I am not there yet.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67600 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a general rule, I wouldn't submit a coin or note for TPG grading unless it's worth at least $300 at typical retail.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19563 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grading and return shipping fees have to be justified against the potential value of the coin after slabbing.

It seems to me that the general opinion here in the CCF for potential value is in the $100 to $150 region.

Much better if you can learn to grade for yourself. I have been collecting for probably 50+ years, none of my coins are slabbed, despite some of them valued in the $thousands. (avatar coin an example)
The American part of my collection is probably around 200+ coins, most in lower grades than those pictured.

It is essential that the coins pictured have some sort of good protection, preferably in air tights of some sort, to preserve the red luster.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2283 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with SEL. I put my best coins if the current market value it is not 4 time all cumulated fees for a grading, in my own slab and build my collection.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kryscoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all. And SEL if you'd like one or two, I'd be more than happy happy to mail them. I have quite a few in this condition. Either that or, I'll dump them into circulation. Thanks again for your reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11901 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very rare to find any LWC in circulation that has enough value to slab. before you do anything like that post the individual coin here for eval.
there are no LWC cents in MS67 grade that are worth slabbing. just for an example is see a 91D in your photo. PCGS shows that they have only slabbed 44 of these in MS68RD. the chances you are going to find an MS68 in circulation is zip

PCGS price guide for those coins slabbed by PCGS - https://www.PCGS.com/prices

Numismedia - http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kryscoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Panzaldi, LWC is Lincoln Wheat Cents? I'm sort of thrown off by the way you're using then acronym when speaking about my Lincoln memorial cents.

Thanks for the input though
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11901 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Panzaldi, LWC is Lincoln Wheat Cents?

sorry, my bad. fingers were not attached to the brain at that time
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 193Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: