Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1953 Proof Dime Strike Through?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 302Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
122 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  10:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 2rtgah678 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i have the 1953 proof dime and I think it has some kind of error. there are these lines that I thought were scratches on both sides of the coin. but now looking back at it they look like they may be strike throughs, but the strike throughs kind of look like metal shavings and have a reeded look in some areas, and the reeded edge of the coin looks like it has some damage, so since its a proof coin and there struck multiple times is there a chance on the first strike there was some kind of planchet flaw and die pulled a bit of the edge it off and it fell onto the coin and was struck onto it? the pictures where not easy to get but theres were the best I got. any info on what this is would be great, thanks

Obverse

the strike-through starts near his forehead. goes under the Y through the base of the T and through the mid of the R, some rim oddity can be seen too.

line goes through the R, through the top of the E and over the B

line goes over all the letters near the edge, more edge oddity can be seen

line keeps following the edge of the coin and goes through the bottem of the W. edge oddity is seen the most

line goes under trust and a smaller one is seen going through the S,T and neck

the line is seen under the bust and comes up into the back base of the neck
Reverse

small line is seen left side of the D and goes through the E and ends at the N

3 small strike throughs are on one on the flower, above the torch and under the E in states
last
last strike through is seen through the leaf under america
Close-ups of edge

both pics are of the edge on the obverse on the edge by liberty and in god we trust, looks like metal has been disturbed in a way idk.
Edited by 2rtgah678
05/14/2022 11:00 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68834 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing anything here. Massive pic overload.
Valued Member
Canada
122 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2rtgah678 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yea sorry for th mass pic overload. I will put descriptions under them. I also have white arrows pointing towards the errors
Pillar of the Community
United States
1728 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow you are looking extremely close at the coin. You can probably find something on every coin looking that close. Could be struck through lint.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8981 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
some of what you showed looks like a surface scratch to me. You can see the copper core showing through the cladding
Edited by Dearborn
05/14/2022 11:33 pm
Valued Member
Canada
122 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2rtgah678 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yea. its hard to explain this without the coin in your hand. but when looked at really close there is no metal raised on either side of the scratches and the lines take odd shapes and this is how the coin came from the mint. and these lines can be seen easily with the naked eye. its just on the smallest coin there is. I guess what I should ask is, is it possible for there to be a strike through of this kind on proof coins?
Valued Member
Canada
122 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2rtgah678 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
also DearBorn, this coin is from 1953 its 90% silver there is no clad.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8981 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
122 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2rtgah678 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this is a closer pic of the line. it has a weird pattern look to it almost like a metal shaving.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58041 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the bottoms of the affected areas are flat, then it is a cut with a sharp knife. It they are round on the valley, then they could be struck through something. But most are show the flat trench. So someone may have altered this coin?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Canada
122 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2rtgah678 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are round like valleys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1165 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it was struck thru a lot of hairs.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 302Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: