Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1928 Australian Penny Errors

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 374Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
81 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  7:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All

I thought I would start a separate thread for this.
How many varieties and errors are there on this coin?
Mintage?
What does the dot before Penny mean? Where it is minted?
The U in Australia is more that it is not well formed rather than 100% broken I think. The rest though certainly look like errors?
What do you all think?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1640 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some pages from the Krause catalog from 2009 (some of the values are now a bit off ) but will give you a ballpark market value. The other page is of all known mintmarks of Australia; this one you have was minted at Melbourne and has no mintmark on your coin. As to your circled features, they more than likely are die chips leading to "broken" numbers and letters.

You can find updated values at ngccoin.com on their world coin price guide which is the Krause catalog online.
Edited by mrwhatisit
05/24/2022 9:23 pm
Valued Member
Australia
81 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks heaps mrwhatisit. So the dot before the word Penny isn't a mint mark? It doesn't get a mention and yet not all 1928 Pennies have this dot?
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3964 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  03:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This should be in the Australian part of the forum, not the British one.

Moderators can you please move this thread?
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
Australia
81 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apologies for the wrong forum. Can anyone tell me what the dot before the Penny represents or is this just an error dot? It doesn't look like random placement?
Valued Member
Australia
81 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also please ignore the circled E as curved letters are normal for 1928 Pennies. At the time I was comparing to a 1922 Penny which has much more 'blocky' font.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
774 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what the dot before the Penny represents or is this just an error dot? It doesn't look like random placement?

Just a Die flaw/error,it can be caused by contamination or corrosion on the Die's surface.
Like your half-penny fairly common in random locations on all pre-Dec. Oz Coins.
Edited by Basil
05/26/2022 03:09 am
Valued Member
Australia
81 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  03:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Basil. Most appreciated
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1250 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  04:39 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
go to the reference section of the website there is a free reference e book for australians error coin, the date might be old but it has a more complete error reference. Use to be errors where quite hot not that much for pre demicials unless you're a big collector and only the rare ones. would say you piece maybe 10-5 dollars compared to 3-0.5.
Valued Member
Australia
81 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  05:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ryurazy. I guess pricing is always an interesting topic with all things. An item value compared to what someone is willing to pay can be vastly different. Lots of error 1928 on ebay for a few hundred dollars but so so many in the sold section. Non error VF are around $20 'value'.
Valued Member
Australia
81 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  05:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
edit : should say 'not so many in the sold section
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 374Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: