Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1831 Coronet Large Cent For Grading, Insomniac Special

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 329Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9468 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  3:56 pm Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Late night eBay hunting is the best hunting when you can't sleep.

This 1831 Large Cent is N-5, an R4 variety. I already have a problem-free example that's a bit nicer but for $15 I couldn't resist adding another to the collection, even though this one does have at least one issue.

The reverse is rotated ~85 degrees C/W on this variety. Other die markers include the very weak reverse at ONE CENT and (more difficult to see) a die crack that starts at the right end of the wreath ribbon and runs counterclockwise above UNITED and the first part of ST, connecting the tops of the letters to each other.

Thoughts on a grade? Do you think it would grade straight, or details, at a TPG? (Don't worry, it's not getting slabbed.)

Thanks for looking.

Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68918 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say G-06+.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2769 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pretty decent for $15. Scratch on obverse might detail it if it were submitted.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68918 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After enlarging it, agree the scratch details it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9082 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scratch behind the ear running down the neck looks pretty deep but we've also seen much worse than this get straight graded. My grade is G details scratched. Surfaces look great though. Other than the center of the reverse it looks well struck and EDS, especially along the periphery.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Highlights of my coin collection: https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=31920
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4125 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting example. That obverse scratch would give it a details des. IMO. G Details, with nice eye appeal. I'd be a buyer all day for $15. which barely gets you a couple gallons of gas these days
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12211 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sharp denticles, stars and rev lettering are pointing me to a weak strike and a grade of VG details. that scratch is just too big and in a key area for her to grade straight
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9468 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  11:17 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scratch is the "issue" I mentioned in my original post; I do believe it wouldn't straight grade, either. I'm glad CCF and I seem to be on the same page with this one.
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2838 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At $15? Yikes, all day every day. Fairly tough variety. I agree, G Details, but the circulation cameo looks nice. Nice Cherrypick.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23912 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2022  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks G-6 to me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 329Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: