Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Die Chip Error On 2020 Marsh Quarter.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 313Next Topic  

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  6:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wuteverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone.

I noticed this extremely small (What I hope is) die chip error on my 2020- D Washington quarter with the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller reverse.
There is a small connecting chip between the "E" and "W" and a bit into the left side of the W on the wording "Land Stewardship" on the bottom of the reverse.

Please see attached pictures.

I am curious on your thoughts! Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10351 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die chips are not errors, they are 'die events' (it broke)
For this coin, the device 'STEWARD' is incused and it looks like that the anonomaly could also be incused (based on shadows) and there fore probably just a circulation hit.
Die chips on a coin will be raised and hits will be incused (Dented in).
Edited by Dearborn
05/30/2022 6:32 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70169 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wuteverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm new to this forum so I apologize for now know how to (if you can) reply directly to each post.

@ Dearborn: It is somewhat hard to tell from how absolutely tiny this item is. At the maximum magnification that my little Annlov will allow, it seems to be a raised item. It is not from my eyes (I know the picture doesn't do justice to what can be seen in person) an indention like from a strike or damage. It appears to be raised metal slightly lower than the raised E and W it is connected to.

@Coinfrog, CCF means what? Again I am new so I apologize for not knowing right off.

Thank you both for your replies.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10351 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CCF = Coin Community Family.

As for the chip on your coin - can you get another image of it with only one light source coming in from an angle and not from overhead? This will help in determining the question I have if it is raised or incused.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10351 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It appears to be raised metal slightly lower than the raised E and W it is connected to.

In the picture you posted the lettering does indeed look raised, that is because of the lighting. But in stead the lettering is lower than the surrounding design (called incused) the thing in between the E and W also look raised (also because of the lighting)
As I asked in my prior post a photo with only one light source at a low angle will show the difference.
In the meantime, I'll go find a Marsh quarter and try to get the image as it should be viewed for you.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wuteverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@CoinFrog, Thank you I appreciate the welcome!

@Dearborn: Thank you for clarifying. Attached should be another image; hopefully of better quality.

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wuteverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dearborn: Woah man I see what your saying. Couldn't see the forest through the trees. It's amazing that with magnification it looks reversed like that. That said I think you are indeed correct.
Thank you for taking the time to explain that to me! I am new with the error coin search so this helps a lot. I need to look more carefully at the whole coin features and not just anomalies haha!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10351 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
in my image I just took The lighting is from the right side of the image - you can see how the light on the coin in the lettering is brighter on the left side of each letter. This gives the coin some depth and shows that the lettering is incused. If the letters were raised then the highlight would be on the right side - the side the light is coming in from.
Sometimes it is hard to tell with pictures and I have to blink many times to see it correctly.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10351 Posts
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wuteverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not late at all. It still helped me! Thank you for your time and effort!
Learn More...
United States
114715 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58744 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2022  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another way to tell if you have the coin in hand, take a fresh piece of aluminum foil and place if on top of the coin. Take a paint brush and mash down the foil on to the coin with the shiny side up with the foil. Then look at it with your microscope. If the devices are raised on the shiny side, they will be raised on the coin. But if the are not raised, and on the dull side they are raised, then you know they are incuse on the coin. The shiny foil shows what a coin face looks like, The dull side shows that the die looks like. Shiny is the positive like the coins, the dull side is the negative die appearance.

CoopHome: How can you tell if devices are raised or incuse on a coin? Sometimes light from a single source can help, but is there another way to tell?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 313Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: