Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Worlds First Gold And Silver Bank Notes

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 64 / Views: 1,621Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member

United States
111 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  12:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Garbanzo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a full set of these in perfect condition with all the original paperwork and bonus gilt edged picture, that I bought way back when and need help finding out the value of the set. I'm told that the metal value is up now with all the uncertainties in the world today.
No pictures right now because I'm just too lazy to do it. But they are as I stated, in perfect condition.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2569 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're talking about the "Saga of Treasure Ships and Pirates" set of 30 notes, I see where one set sold for $75. Presale estimate was $200-$400.
Edited by nfine
06/19/2022 1:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
859 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're talking about the 30-note set (legal tender in Antigua and Barbuda), there was a recent auction sale of a set for $270. Just google "world's first gold and silver banknote collection" and you'll see lots of examples.

The amount of gold and silver in these is fairly minimal, as I believe they're stamped on gold and silver foil which is incredibly thin.
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
859 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nfine - oops, I hadn't seen your reply.
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9203 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2569 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No worries, hokiefan_82, I'm just trying to be helpful too.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69007 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you find the energy, we'd love to see some pics.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4493 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few of these, or something similar. I believe that they are just gold foil over paper, hence minimal value in precious metals.
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Garbanzo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to the paperwork and the original sales literature these are gold not gold over paper, and silver. Real gold and silver. I will take some pictures and post them soon since it seems that there are some people that are interested.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4493 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Garbanzo, I would be quite interested to know the weight of one, and how much gold it contains.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9203 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I would think that all the folks that took the time to look in this thread and comment are interested in seeing your collection. (Myself included)
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Garbanzo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm having trouble getting the pictures, which I have to take with my camera, not my microscope, to get to a size that I can transfer to this site. As soon as I figure it out you will see some pictures. Please be patient.
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Garbanzo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And seeing as there are 30 pieces and 3-4 pictures necessary to show each one off properly this is not easy. Of course I will only post a representative few but that will still be 8-10 pictures. So hold your horses I'm getting to it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5123 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If its the "The Saga of Treasure Ships and Pirates" I checked on Ebay and 3 complete sets sold, the prices sold are from $360 to $424.

I did a little further research, this is what I found:

"The Saga of Treasure Ships and Pirates This exquisite collection really must be seen to be appreciated!!! These are Legal Tender Banknotes that convert from East Caribbean Dollars to U.S. Dollars at $38.17, for every 100 East Caribbean Dollars.Complete set of 30 pcs with album included. 30 $100 EAST CARIBBEAN LEGAL TENDER BANKNOTESThese banknotes are still legal tender and Forex value is $1,111.11 USD, and can be traded at many banks that deal in currency. Each note weighs approx. 1.5 grams of 23k, 99.2% pure gold for a total of 45grams, 1 oz., approx. value melted down on today's market of $2000 USD"

What this tells me is that they are selling below spot and below even the exchange rate. Doesn't read like its a good investment.
Edited by hfjacinto
06/19/2022 7:58 pm
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Garbanzo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To all my friends on the coin community site.
I am seventy years old and, unlike a lot of people, I didn't grow up with technology in my everyday life, which makes it difficult sometimes to get done what I want to do on the computer. I think that I've gotten pretty good, with your help, at getting along with the ins and outs of this site.
But at the moment, getting the pictures of my WORLDS FIRST GOLD AND SILVER BANKNOTES, from my camera to the site is difficult.
I will get it done though.
I spent about 5 hours today taking some 150 pictures to put in my computer, cropping them and adjusting them so that I have a database to choose from to put on the site.
Then I chose about 10 of them to use, and when I tried to put them on, I found that they were to large and the site would not accept them.
And since I don't know how to change the megapixels, which I think is the problem, after the pictures are already downloaded onto the computer, I guess that I'm going to have to adjust the meg size on the camera and take them all over again.
So, I apologize for keeping those of you who wish to see them, waiting.
I will turn my cartoons off and get back to it tomorrow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2569 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a number of us in the same age group that struggle with the same things, Garbanzo. There's an image optimizer that will allow you to resize your photos and I hear it's pretty easy to use. Here's a link to a tutorial that explains it's use: https://pixlr.com/x/

Like every other technical thing there's a learning curve and plenty of trial and error. Hopefully the tutorial helps getting your photos posted.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 64 / Views: 1,621Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: