Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About Coin Reeds

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 252Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  10:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dunkleosteus430 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If there are buildups of dirt in a coin's reeds, would you scrape them out or clean them? How? I did it on my pocket piece Ike dollar, made it look better. I used a thumbtack, though.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9203 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a wooden toothpick would have been much better and wouldn't damage the coin. (Don't let Jbuck know what you did to your Ike dollar)
If there is dirt or crud on a coin, an acetone soak followed by the toothpick treatment is far better than taking a metal instrument to it.
Learn More...
Australia
14375 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It all depends on what you mean by "dirt".

- Actual dirt, or other physical debris? Sure, scrape it off if you like. A coin that's built up that much dirt and debris is likely to already be heavily worn, so we're not talking about a high-grade rarity. But I would recommend using something made of wood or plastic, rather than metal - a rose-thorn-on-a-stick is a standard dirt-removal tool for ancient and mediaeval coins that are dug up out of the ground. Though frankly, for dirt, a good old soak in soapy water and a rinse in pure water is probably good enough to help.

- Oxidation and tarnish? DO NOT remove. This is part of the coin's "natural surface" now; cleaning it, especially on a worn coin, simply makes the coin look flat and un-natural.

- Corrosion by-products? It would be unusual for the edge of a coin to be corroded and the front and back faces to still be fine, but I have occasionally seen it. The coin is already "ruined" by corrosion; cleaning it isn't going to make things much worse.

As a general rule, people don't bother with cleaning the edge of a coin, because it's a lot of work for something that impacts the coin's appearance very little. Indeed, the standard recommendation when experimenting with coin cleaning is if you have a new solution or reagent you are testing on a coin, test it on the coin's edge first, because people care far less about funny staining on a coin when it's on the edge.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dunkleosteus430 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I agree that a metal tool wasn't the best option, and I just knew that somebody would say 'Acetone'. I've been carrying the coin around for a few months, and it's already got some nicks and dings. I'm trying to prevent that, but most of them will hopefully just get worn off. Despite my small number of posts, I am not totally inexperienced as I have been collecting for several years, although I wouldn't call myself an expert in any fields of numismatics.
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Don't let Jbuck know what you did to your Ike dollar
Too late!

Dansco albums do a good job hiding the edges, for what that is worth.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 252Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: