Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1957 D Penny Errors On Reverse And Overse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 186Next Topic  

United States
28 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  10:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pollyb123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Maybe cud error on obverse on the number 9 and the b in liberty. Reverse has cud error on left leaf

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15199 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not errors, those are Die Chips or in the case of the B,
a broken post which are considered part of the minting process.
Also a cud is is break in the rim, not on the fields.
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrhakfbacon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not much premium, but considering the age and condition, I would say it is best to keep it.
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pollyb123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Jimmy and Bacon for your response to my post
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68941 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are quite common on the late wheaties, especially the 1957D in my experience.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58089 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These die events are sometimes used as markers. But they happen on both the normal and variety dies. But you can't look for varieties by looking for markers. Because the strike process is the same over and over, the same die events happen on all the dies. Markers only count on varieties if the variety is there. They denote die states. Fresher dies will not have some of the die events, and later die states may have new markers not known before. Sometimes even one die can be changed and the markers will also be different for this die state. Thus they could be part of a new die marriage. Most of the times they try to match the replacement to a similar die state. If no others are available, a fresh die maybe add to a die marriage. So look for the variety first, then see if there is a listed die state so you can compare images with. On Variety Vista, they list more areas where die markers, or die events could happen. So when using this site, to look for the description to see what areas are the actual variety. Why? Because the ones that are not of the variety in the description, will be normal devices as the varieties may not affect all devices. But the fingerprints of the die, may be handy to use to match up to a certain die. Also die markers like die scratches can flatten first in the open fields. So looking at the die events near devices, you might find a matching for a previous die event. Inside of closed devices is where the markers last the longest. Just a few ways you can use die events to ID a variety.

CoopHome: What is the purpose of die events listed with variety coins? What is the wrong way to use them?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9106 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep - die events, a chip on the back - not a cud (cuds involve the rim every time. Broken posts on the obverse B and a die chip on the 9 (I say this because the 9 is open and has no real post. like the B or an R.)
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 186Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: