Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About My 1970 S And 1974 S Pennies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 366Next Topic  

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  2:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MessyCupcake to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've collected most of my life, but now it's time I look into selling. Can anyone lead me in the right direction and/or tell me if these are worth selling or continue going through my collection?

They aren't perfect. These are how I received them and have cherished them.

Also, included my favorite Wheat penny that my daughter and I call "Shredder".

I just don't know how the process is or if it's worth online or action, etc since I seem to collect all the odds and ends of coins even though I have the typical uncirculated varieties that I know will sell but unsure about grading and everything else.

Thank you!!!

Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dunkleosteus430 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 70s Lincolns you've got are probably 55-64 BN/RB. I'd keep them because I'm trying to make a MS Lincoln set from circulation, but they probably don't have a premium unless they are of rare varieties. As for Shredder... Looks like paint, but can't see what's going on too well. Cool coin, though.
Edited by dunkleosteus430
06/21/2022 2:43 pm
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dunkleosteus430 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1970-S might be around 63 red-brown. The 1974-S looks lightly circulated.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45134 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Sorry to say none of these are worth more than face value.The 1970-S LD is folder worthy though. As to learning grading:https://www.PCGS.com/photograde/
As to value,eBay sold values and:http://www.numismedia.com/rarecoinprices/fmv.shtml
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MessyCupcake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dunkleosteus430 click on shredders picture and zoom in. It's an absolute mess but I love it so much!
It's one of those that you can make up stories about the life of a coin with a 10 year old. Shredder always makes us giggle. &

On a serious note, it has peeled over the years and that's the end result. I've never seen a coin peel away. I take it that Shredder has seen some things and needed a change. Hahaha
Learn More...
United States
23712 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is an interesting trio @mess. It looks to me like whatever chemical has stripped away the copper toning on that Wheat cent has also been more sparingly applied to the front of that '74-S.

Added: looks like we were typing at the same time. Since you are describing pieces of the coin peeling off the coin, that makes me think it was clear glue which had protected certain areas of the surface from every toning.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dunkleosteus430 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see it now -- shredder is definitely an interesting coin. I know exactly what happened...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9106 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the 'shredder' I think it was stored obverse side down with another cent on top of of partially covering the reverse, then an acidic substance was spilt over it bleaching out the exposed areas and also where the coins were touching.
Pillar of the Community
United States
524 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cointagous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If Shredder looks like this, imagine what he did to the other coins.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MessyCupcake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These comments are making me so happy, especially the picture. We are a star wars family. Whole house is dedicated and that is definitely top of the story list. Padawan turned Padawont.

If you look real close, I'm dying to know if there is strike errors as I cannot make out what it says on the one side. It has its own language.

Shredder can officially retire from all those underground coin fights.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MessyCupcake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, I have a lot of silver quarters, almost a timeline's worth, silver dollars, web notes, etc.

It's so hard to let go but we have fallen on hard times and hopefully I can take these comments and see what happens.

If all fails, I'm hoping I can learn some more facts and history.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8808 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Study coin sales on eBay's sold listings for an idea as to what your coins may be worth. Selling them on eBay is definitely the way to go. If you haven't sold items on eBay before, start with a few non-coin items to build feedback. Buyers for your coins will want to see positive transactions before trusting you as a coin seller. Realise you'll have to ship and insure your coins you are selling. If you're an established seller already on eBay you already know all this. Be realistic about your prices and you'll do fine. Hope this helps! Bonne chance!

To the CCF!
ša va bien aller

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 366Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: