Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2022 P Lincoln Cent. How Is This Possible?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 656Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  7:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Graffixchild to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So. PLEASE bare in mind, this is PMD all day if you ask me. BUT. There is a kicker. I got this penny from a sealed 2022 federal reserve box from the bank... I promise this fact is true. How can this be? When I examine the reverse of the coin where the damage is, it looks like something else is stamped in or double struck, but at the same time it doesn't. I am so confused. Thoughts?

Pillar of the Community
United States
8526 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it's a post-strike damage. The coin didn't leave the striking chamber in that condition. It could have been damaged on its way to the bagging step prior to it's being transported from the mint. Too, commercial coin rolling services are involved in rolling/wrapping the coins which arrive in these bags (large poly/nylon bags). Could have been damaged while being handled at the commercial rolling/wrapping operation. Key point here is the coin didn't leave the striking chamber as pictured.
Edited by ijn1944
06/21/2022 7:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9109 Posts
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Graffixchild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SO. Also, I meant to ask. Ifd it was caught in a machine and ground to the point of which the obverse is ground, shouldnt it appear shiny and metallic? not red? Pardon my lack of deep knowledge.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8808 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
somehow this coin was damaged after it left the mint. The misperception is it came directly from the mint into your roll. Unless it's a special release that specifically states on the wrapper it's from the mint, the coins are gathered by a third party rolling service. Lots of hands/ steps involved which could have ( and did) damaged your coin. Now, this is just another post mint damaged coins and not a mint error. It did not leave the mint looking like this, sorry.
ša va bien aller

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Graffixchild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please don't misunderstand. I don't expect anyone to be sorry. . I already determined it was PMD on my own. Still peculiar. I really would have expected the ground down metal to be shiny and metallic in color. But thank you for clearing up that it doesn't come straight from mint. I'májust shocked it fit into the roll, but I got a nickel out of a penny roll the other day as well, so I guess I shouldnt be shocked any longer. lol
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58089 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was jammed in a counting machine it will look damaged like this. Not a mint error, the rims were there when the coin was struck. Altered post strike.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Graffixchild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, PMD aside, it may be very unlucky that it occured on this coin, because in the area I have circled here, there appears to be the date 2 2 with the same size numbers and spacing as the 2022 50cent piece. Maybe I am mistaking though.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68947 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing here. You're seeing animal shapes in the clouds.
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Graffixchild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol. I see things in clouds trees and all in between. BUT. Am I truly hallucinating here? It is of course a possibility.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1169 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You asked about why no zinc showing. If this was ground down the zinc would show. I think this was smashed, at the same time rubbed to the west. It stretched the metal and thinned it out. And with the new type of rolling coins, they wrap the paper around the coins, instead of putting them in a tube.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8526 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If coins could talk...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9109 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whelp! Cujohn, just said what I was about to. Not enough of the copper plating was ground off to expose the zinc core (well except to that one silvery looking spot at the top of the reverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8808 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Am I truly hallucinating here?

If you see numbers in the damaged/smashed area, then yes, yes you are!
ša va bien aller

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Graffixchild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I reply with quote text? also, I dont see the numbers in the smashed part of the coin, but rather in the area I circled in blue in the two new photos. Thanks
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Graffixchild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would still like to knnow how to reply with quote text, but just wanted to say thannks for letting me know the process. I assumed mint rolled and boxed them. Explains a lot about my boxes now. Haha. My guess is it got stuck in a roller or something. still neat that it fit in a roller lol. NNot sure how though. Anyway. Have a great day everyone! Be bless and happy hunts!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 656Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: