Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Canadian: 2015 Celebrating Canada $10 Silver Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 150Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7779 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  12:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I generally like the look of silver coins with selective gold plating. Not only do I find them attractive, but they also appeal to my traditional sensibilities as a collector.

One of my favorites from the Royal Canadian Mint over the last 10 years was issued back in 2015. It was a $10 silver coin - not a silver dollar - and it goes by the name "Celebrating Canada."

The coin's reverse design uses a maple leaf shape to represent a stylized map of Canada. Upon the maple leaf/map. from west to east, are found well-known symbols of each geographic region. At left/west are seen stylized, snow-topped peaks of the Rocky Mountains along with a white-tailed deer. Per the Mint's description, they are meant to represent "the rugged wilderness of the western provinces."

2015 Celebrating Canada $10 Silver Proof Coin - Reverse

Continuing "eastward" across the coin, next seen are wheat stalks which "symbolise the grain-growing Canadian prairies." At the far right are symbols of Canada's Eastern Provinces' fishing industry - seen are a fish, a boat and Peggy's Point Lighthouse. At the base of the maple leaf is presented the Centre Block building of Canada's Parliament complex - it is the main building of the complex; above its tower is a partial map of Nunavut and the Northwest Territories - they are meant to symbolise the "Home to many of Canada's native peoples." The map (sort of) creates the top, center section of the leaf.

The design was created by Kwame Delfish, a Canadian artist/painter based in Toronto, ON. Interestingly, he is a former hair stylist and considers "hair to be an art form." (Per his Facebook page.)

The obverse of the coin features the right-facing portrait of Queen Elizabeth II created by Susanna Blunt; the portrait has been in use for most Canadian coins since 2003. QEII's portrait is selectively gold-plated.

The proof finish coin was struck on a 0.9999 fine silver planchet that is 34 millimeters in diameter with a weight of 15.87 grams. In addition to its selectively gold-plated devices, the coin also features a gold-plated, reeded/serrated edge. The coin had a maximum mintage of 8,000 coins, but its total sales reached just 2,469 - it wasn't a very popular coin! Its issue price was $69.95 CAD. (Thanks for sales figure confirmation vonigohcr!)

The coin appealed to me due to its attractive use of symbolism to represent the major geographic regions of Canada - I almost always prefer the use of symbolism on coins vs. literal representations that appear photographic.

In hand, I find the proof coin to be very attractive. The use of multiple finishes on the reverse's gold-plated section make the various elements "pop" to my eyes.

For other of my posts about Canadian coins and medals, see: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68959 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A striking piece (so to say) for sure.
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 150Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: