Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1998 Nickel "Bare Belly" Variety?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 545Next Topic  

Canada
30 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  03:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tdogg4280 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello again. I was wondering if this 1998 Nickel is of a "Bare Belly" type or variety?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only actual bare belly variety is the 1990 bare belly, all other bare bellies are Simply from over polishing if the dies,
Canada
30 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  05:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tdogg4280 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thanks again wrekkdd. I didnt know 1990 was the only year for the bare belly. I was looking through a March 2018 issue of a magazine called "The Planchet" that I downloaded from https://www.edmontoncoinclub.com and in it they show a 1998 Bare Belly with values.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen them sell for above face value, anything can be hyped up, much like the 1996 attached 6, I'm pretty sure it's just a die chip but I have seen them sell for tonz.
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickel picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say 100% 1998 is a bare belly as well. Ive also seen them listed as a variety. Have sold quie a few of them as well. Average sale $2-$5 depending on who wanted it at the time. Have hade chips and die cracks on these as well. For those of us that collect errors and varieties, this is one to have. In my opinion anyways. Cool find
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's just a hyped thing, its not an error, it's a simple over polished die and can bee seen on many different years and denominations, people are welcome to collect anything they want but just know what you have. The 1990 bare belly beaver on the other hand is an actual error and as far as I have read there is not a definitive answer as to what caused the vertical raised lines through the bare belly. This is the only year of that I know of for the Bare bellies that isn't just from an over polished die. Much like very minor die chips and die cracks over polishing happens and is very common. But as I said they do carry a small premium due to the hype around the bare belly 1990 which is an error vs other years that are just common over polishing if the dies.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 545Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: