Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1960 Large Date Lincoln Cent W/1-2 Die Chip(S)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 443Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
95 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  03:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The one between the 9 and the 6 I think is obviously a die chip, but the spot on the upper left curve of the 9 could just be from wear. I tried and failed to get a better picture.

Learn More...
United States
24155 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@cam, those are great pics. I'm not so sure about that being a die chip between the 9 and 6. It would be odd to not be connected to one, or most likely, both numbers. I suspect it is a tiny lam or scrap of copper foil wedged in there.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is definitely part of the coin. It blends into the coin on the lower edge, then there's a lip on the top edge. It looks attached to both the 9 and the 6.

Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  05:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is definitely part of the coin. It blends into the coin on the lower edge, then there's a lip on the top edge. It looks attached to both the 9 and the 6. I took these to show the angle. You can see the light on the edge.

Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  05:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the double post. I'm horrible.
Learn More...
United States
24155 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok yes those pics help. Let's see what others think, but it still looks like a tiny lamination to me.

Added: and don't stress about double-posting. Maybe time for your morning coffee?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
396 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  05:51 am  Show Profile   Check bugil46's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The connection seems very well defined-square.
Die chips are mostly blob shaped.
Curious. I think it is a scrap of copper foil or lam.
I agree with Spence.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10314 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
[quote[Curious. I think it is a scrap of copper foil or lam.[/quote]
my thoughts exactly.
the other thing above and to the left of the 9 could also be a very small lam of just debris.
Try a acetone soak to see if it cleans up a little.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70143 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. Agree this is unlikely a chip.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It did clear off the spot on the 9. I know I should read and study more but I have troubles with attention span when learning through reading, especially reading in length. My mind wanders and I retain little. Its difficult. So I just look for things that don't look right. I don't know what yall mean by LAM.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LAM= Lamination. See glossary.
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  06:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went to the glossary but ads are covering everything. Get rid of one, and another slides up.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10314 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here, this my help - a bit of reading is involved (but not too much):

Quote:
lamination A thin piece of metal that has nearly become detached from the surface of a coin. If this breaks off, an irregular hole or planchet flaw is left. A defect in the metal or gases trapped in a coin's metal that result in a piece of the coin detaching from the rest.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dearborn (amd everyone else). I'm learning a lot. Especially that there is a lot for me to learn! The similarities within different defects and whatnot. I gotta do some studying.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 443Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: