Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts On 2005 P Non-Mag In Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 477Next Topic  

Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  5:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add spmccal to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey folks,

Looking for some insight/opinions. I have a 2005P non-mag penny still mint sealed in an Oh Canada! set. I can appreciate the value of the set, however, my personal opinion is I can't much enjoy the coin as it is, only viewing one side through plastic wrap, etc. My preference is to remove it from the set and store it in a capsule as I have with my other unique finds. I'm not interested in sending it away to have it graded.

Now, I am only a simple hobby collector, but I understand there is some investment value in what I have here - considering what I paid for the set when I got it, and before I knew it was a non-magnetic cent.

What I'm wondering is am I drastically reducing the value of what I have by removing it, or am I better off leaving it as is and just accept having this out of place set tucked away to never be looked at?

Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you cut the cent out, I would think the set would lose any premium it currently has. It would be difficult/impossible to prove the cent in the capsule came out of the set.
Valued Member
Canada
188 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fefimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I'd cut it out and into an airtight to avoid worrying about tears and dings.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4406 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, you'd be better off taking the cent out and putting it in the best protective air-tight container you can find. I'm not in to moderns, but is that the only coin in the set that has any significant added value, or is there any value?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70347 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4984 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the value is in the cent get it graded, you can buy Oh Canada sets for issue price at larger coin shows, collectors that are willing to pay around a couple grand for this type expects it to be a high grade red cent. Forgot welcome !
Edited by john100
06/28/2022 10:00 pm
Learn More...
United States
114863 Posts
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spmccal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcome guys and the replies.
Yeah, I'm not particularly fond of the set itself, but wasn't sure if it was that much more valuable keeping a sealed set with the non-mag cent vs just having the cent itself. Seems removing and keeping it capsulated is the best way to go, and pleases me more to have it that way.
If I ever do plan on parting with it, I would definitely have it graded, but won't while I keep it for my own enjoyment.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 477Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: