Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Punch Off Center. (1991 P Dime)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 421Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  10:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DDerolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I had a question regarding this dime. It appears to be very off center, but I can't find much information online whether or not this is considered an "error". Sorry for the pic quality it's as clear as I could get it with my phone... :(
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Edited by DDerolf
07/03/2022 10:15 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10467 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Please, if possible, remove the coin from its 2x2 for better, clearer images. Just be careful when handling them

Now onto the coin,
Without seeing the reverse, it could be 1 of 2 things, an off center strike (not punch) or a MAD strike. (Mis-Aligned Die)
Edited by Dearborn
07/03/2022 10:15 pm
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DDerolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I removed them from the 2x2 and again sorry for the quality it's the best I'm able to get...

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10467 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks, the photos are not ideal, but This coin is an off center strike. But not enough to bring in any premium. The lettering around the edges need to be falling off the edge to be of any increased value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1752 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, I see a minor off center strike also, interesting to keep, with Dearborn. If the OCS were more prominent, the devices on the coin could begin to fall off and then begin to pick up collector value.
Edited by mrwhatisit
07/03/2022 10:41 pm
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DDerolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for your feedback, this definitely helped teach me a few things :)
Learn More...
United States
24271 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  06:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dde, first welcome to CCF. Second, it looks to me like only one side of this dime is off-center, so I would call this a mis-aligned die (MAD) error rather than an off-center strike.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15851 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Looks like a MAD as only the obverse is off.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10467 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70450 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MAD indeed. Not uncommon.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9130 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MAD? Yes. Extra premium? No, too minor.

to the CCF!
ça va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58903 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The MAD coins that have a premium will show a weakness on the reverse designs opposite that area:

The mis-alignment of the strike doesn't make the opposite side strike up, because of the location strike over the wrong target area.

CoopHome: What determines the collectable MAD coins? opposite side weakness
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Learn More...
United States
114976 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 421Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: