Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Advice On Buying Fractional Gold Via The Mexican Peso

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 435Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  10:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SamuelPickwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm interested in acquiring some fractional gold by way of the Mexican peso, and would appreciate any advice/opinions/suggestions on which ones are preferable to purchase. As I'd like to have some of these coins (as opposed to a generic bar), there is a bit of a numismatic aspect to it but am not interested in a graded coin.

Thus things like any particular year, expected premium, concern about fakes, etc. Also, would a French rooster, for example, be a better choice?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20052 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get professional advice, to make sure you are not buying a jeweler's copy in good gold, or even a deceiving a gold plated brass fake.

For nice artwork, how about a St George Sovereign or Half Sovereign? Such coins can be had for only a small premium above melt. - Much easier to find, and less requirement for professional advice.

A kind of halfway house between gold stacking and numismatics.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamuelPickwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that describes the situation very well, I am in the halfway house. I'll look into going with a few sovereigns instead, thank you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4082 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you don't want graded gold coins, you could get fractional gold Mexican pesos at a large bullion dealer like APMEX or JM Bullion to minimize the risk of counterfeits. They have a relatively low premium over spot, but they may not be as easy to liquidate as other gold coins like AGEs or Maple Leafs. If you're looking for vintage gold coins, the French rooster is an attractive design, too. But I would still buy through a large bullion dealer.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamuelPickwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was just looking up sovereigns at JMB (they do not have the 5 peso in stock); will look at the roosters there also. Need to start a scratch pad to keep track of the different gold weights.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 435Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: