Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976 P Kennedy Half Dollar Question

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,070Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
117 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2022  4:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CaptJeffWorthFL to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had a few boxes of halves with a lot of nice condition coins, 90 and 40 percenters, proofs, gold plated, 1987 NIFCs and more along with what I at first glance thought was a proof. I noticed there was no mint mark though. Is this a normal coin for circulation, part of a commemorative set, plated with something? I know it is not anything valuable, just wanted to know what this KHDs deal is.
Thanks in advance!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4073 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2022  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say polished
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71674 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2022  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing plated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9337 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2022  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reeding shows copper, so plating might be suspect. That said, those surfaces have been altered--not a proof.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2022  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptJeffWorthFL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe a school science experiment on plating? Well I guess I am gonna keep it in my collection of odd finds. Thanks again!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3242 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2022  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Captain, (I am major Capt.). Your coins do not show me re-polish coins. One coin which you say gold plating, it is the color of Ni clad took over the years.

Now go to the main.: You state that was in boxes? Which kind? Special UN sets? In follow answer (explanation) you will understand more.

The UN and special UN sets are done from Blanks which was polish by the Mint between blank cut and milling. In that year the workers was relative free so someone probably put twice the batch to be polish. Like this we can have and find only in the sets the Proof Like. This it is the history of minting process.

Your coins are Philadelphia, the strike is superb which take me to believe you have PL special UN strike and not plated or re-polish which will let marks.

Not manny like this on the market.
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2022  02:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I disagree, this coin is post mint altered.
Plated.
Edited by JTCC
08/02/2022 02:12 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3242 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2022  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JTTC no plating will be so smooth and brilliant. Give me examples.
To be like this the coin will be plated then polish and after will be strike. What it is your theorem on this?
Edited by silviosi
08/02/2022 04:49 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
904 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2022  05:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, this is post mint.

Polished/plated.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2022  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a plated coin...may not have been fully submersed in the palting solution so that is why the edge isn't plated. May have juat been applied to the surfaces.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1808 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2022  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silvio, Capt states he found them in boxes of halfs. No special coin. These have been plated somehow like KK says or polished. Maybe a product like brasso we used for brass only this time for nickel.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3242 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2022  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
part of a commemorative set

Sorry CU, this it is the statement of the CAPT. On other side, if it is plated, the design will have material add and will be not so clear. Dipped in some solutions? which? No solution will do this work. Was plated before strike? possible, because in that time many workers done assisted mint errors. Other thinks: if you plat something, you can not do only the surface except you has 50 million plating machine like Mint Canada has.

Thanks,
Edited by silviosi
08/02/2022 4:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2022  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This certainly could have been selectively electroplated, using a brush technique:

Brush plating (also known as selective plating) is a portable method of electroplating. Selective plating is used to apply anodized coatings and electroplated deposits in localized areas of a part without the use of an immersion tank.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3242 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2022  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes this could be an alternative of plating. All this Brush platins has traces on surface (characteristics for). After Brush plating an polish proceed must be involve. Other thing, Brush plating in relative thick.
Pillar of the Community
United States
904 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2022  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silviosi- You have a wild imagination
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3242 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2022  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Numi, Please elaborate on this.

The most less headache for all of the members it is this document:
https://www.pfonline.com/articles/p...rush-plating
Edited by silviosi
08/02/2022 11:01 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,070Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: